full day solar ob- damage to scope?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
hlyf

full day solar ob- damage to scope?

Post by hlyf »

hi all,
my school is having our open house next week, and we'll be having a full day solar ob session for those pp coming to visit..
so.. just wondering, will anything happen to your telescope if you leave it in the sun for the whole day? with solar filters on la.. but will there be overheating of the scope or anything with the optics or anything?
worried larh.. if anything happens teacher in charge will be after me :?
thanks!

hannah
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

A full aperture filter will be OK, just remember to cool the scope in intervals.

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

yah full aperture filter..
cool scope, bring into shade ah? nearest shade quite far away and scope very heavy.... umbrella can? :P will try to cool it larh..
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Hm, maybe you could wrap up the scope with aluminium foil, mahjong paper or something 8) . What scope are you guys using ?
Samuel Ng
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

C8 and maksutov..
2 scopes, we could bring one in for cooling and leave the other outside... hmm what if we like get some members to stand there and fan it :D or just use an umbrella to shade it when we're not having any visitors..
angeline

Post by angeline »

hey~ what school are ya from??? can i go?? hehehe! when and what time is the open house thingy?
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

wow... need people to fan it to cool it down?? it looks more like an "VIP" to me :P
just kidding :)
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

haha scopes are "Very Important Property" mah... must protect it well :D
i'm from rjc.. our OH is next thurs, whole day morn to afternoon.. it's, um, open, so angeline if u wanna come come lor, see what measures we have decided on to keep the scopes cool :P haha

hannah
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Nice hannah. Ya know something? I'm NJC here. We're having a solar ob on our openday too... So I thought you were also NJCian... cos apparently, the description fits! Girl, astro in school, openday next week. Full day solar ob. With C8 and maksutov. And same thing, if our telescopes are destroyed then the teacher-in-charge would more than just ham-tam me... Just what we had in mind too... Strange how coincidental it could be...
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

wait a minute........ if i was from NJ wouldn't you know me?! cool... din know u pp had the same scopes... so what u guys going to do to protect your scopes and save your skins :P ? did your school do this during previous OHs?
your OH's on sat right? haha maybe i'll pop down... or maybe not.. oh yah mine's this thurs, not next (was living in last week when i typed that..)
the sun now is pretty featureless :(

hannah