NEW OBERWEK GIANT 22X100 ASTRO-BINO

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
lowrobin
Vendor

Re: Astro-Bino

Post by lowrobin »

kayheem wrote:
lowrobin wrote: Hi Kay Heem,

Good idea, I have a C8 and I have considered to install a bino viewer, but the bino viewer cost almost US $700 - 800 not include freight, furthermore, the C8 needs a heavy mount and transportation is not as easy as a 100mm bino.

Robin Low
Robin, I quoted the 5" as it would give approx the same light gathering capacity as a 4" bino. The 5" MCT/SCT can be mounted on the Manfrotto 410 geared head.

With your C8, you can use the Burgess binoviewer for US$200 which includes a pair of eyepieces. You can use a simple fork mount for your C8.

Kay Heem
Just a food for thought, is 100mm x 2nos. vs 200mm x 1 no. which one do you think have a higher light gathering power? A 100 bino or C8 a more versatile equipment in terms of general work?

Robin low
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Just a food for thought, is 100mm x 2nos. vs 200mm x 1 no. which one do you think have a higher light gathering power?
What do you mean?? Do you mean 2 x 100mm bino vs 1 x 200mm bino??
A 100 bino or C8 a more versatile equipment in terms of general work?
IMHO, a C8 is a more versatile equipment, can do planetary, double stars & etc. But a 100mm bino is only useful for scanning the sky... it'll be nice if in a dark clear sky, but too bad, that cannot be found in Singapore. :(

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
lowrobin
Vendor

Astro Bino

Post by lowrobin »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Just a food for thought, is 100mm x 2nos. vs 200mm x 1 no. which one do you think have a higher light gathering power?
What do you mean?? Do you mean 2 x 100mm bino vs 1 x 200mm bino??
A 100 bino or C8 a more versatile equipment in terms of general work?
IMHO, a C8 is a more versatile equipment, can do planetary, double stars & etc. But a 100mm bino is only useful for scanning the sky... it'll be nice if in a dark clear sky, but too bad, that cannot be found in Singapore. :(

Have a nice day.
Hi Weixing,

In my point of view, C8 is not an easy equipment to use because of size, its just like holding onto a 10kg waste paper basket above your head with many alignments to make before it can come into effective. (That is the reason I want to buy an Astro Bino), unlike bino you can carry it to wherever you want, the mounting can be more simplier, it is a matter of personal choice.

Robin Low
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
In my point of view, C8 is not an easy equipment to use because of size, its just like holding onto a 10kg waste paper basket above your head with many alignments to make before it can come into effective. (That is the reason I want to buy an Astro Bino), unlike bino you can carry it to wherever you want, the mounting can be more simplier, it is a matter of personal choice.
Ha Ha Ha... a very expensive waste paper basket :P IMHO, you can also use a simpler mount for C8, such as a giro mount (a very good and portable Alt-Az mount).

Anyway, the 100mm bino is also quite big and heavy ( some of them is more heavy than a C8 )... you'll also need a good strong tripod to hold it steady.

By the way, the 100mm binoculars/25/62x100 helical focuser is interesting... it can change eyepieces... that mean you can put two 90 degree diagonal and wow!!! 8)

Have a nice day.
Last edited by weixing on Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
lowrobin
Vendor

Astro Bino

Post by lowrobin »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Ha Ha Ha... a very expensive waste paper basket :P IMHO, you can also use a simpler mount for C8, such as a giro mount (a very good and portable Alt-Az mount).

Anyway, the 100mm bino is also quite big and heavy (some of them is more heavy than a C8)... you'll also need a good strong tripod to hold it steady.

By the way, the 100mm binoculars/25/62x100 helical focuser is interesting... it can change eyepieces... 8)

Have a nice day.
Never hold onto a 100mm bino before, may be I should have a feel of the equipment & size, I only check the spec. in the internet and it said it weight almost 5kg which is like holding on to a 5kg rice bag , pretty heavy also! :lol:

Robin Low
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Re: Astro Bino

Post by acc »

lowrobin wrote:Never hold onto a 100mm bino before, may be I should have a feel of the equipment & size, I only check the spec. in the internet and it said it weight almost 5kg which is like holding on to a 5kg rice bag , pretty heavy also! :lol:

Robin Low
Hi Robin
I am not sure if I get you correct in that you have intentions to use the bino without a tripod? :? Its really not possible to do so as your hands would be too unsteady at 22x. And the bino is too heavy and bulky to hold overhead for any length of time. Believe me, I have tried it before. :oops: In the end u still need a good tripod to mount the tripod. And the straight-through bino would be VERY uncomfortable for ur neck... The bino-viewer option may be better and more versatile... BTW a 200mm scope gathers TWICE the amount of light as a pair of 100mm bino. (200squared / (100squared x 2)

cheers
cc :D
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
lowrobin
Vendor

Re: Astro Bino

Post by lowrobin »

acc wrote:
lowrobin wrote:Never hold onto a 100mm bino before, may be I should have a feel of the equipment & size, I only check the spec. in the internet and it said it weight almost 5kg which is like holding on to a 5kg rice bag , pretty heavy also! :lol:

Robin Low
Hi Robin
I am not sure if I get you correct in that you have intentions to use the bino without a tripod? :? Its really not possible to do so as your hands would be too unsteady at 22x. And the bino is too heavy and bulky to hold overhead for any length of time. Believe me, I have tried it before. :oops: In the end u still need a good tripod to mount the tripod. And the straight-through bino would be VERY uncomfortable for ur neck... The bino-viewer option may be better and more versatile... BTW a 200mm scope gathers TWICE the amount of light as a pair of 100mm bino. (200squared / (100squared x 2)

cheers
cc :D
Hi there,

My intension is not to use the bino by hand held but to use a simple mount instead of an EQ mount, if you need to carry almost 50kg of equipment to site just to do casual stargazing or general obs, you may not be able to do it in a regular basis.
I have used my C8 since 1989 not more than 20 times, mainly because of bringing such a heavy equipment to site may just be a very exhausting affair. :?
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Know what u mean... an eq-mount can be a big put-off when making a go/no-go decision for a short ob session... :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
lowrobin
Vendor

Astro Bino

Post by lowrobin »

acc wrote:Know what u mean... an eq-mount can be a big put-off when making a go/no-go decision for a short ob session... :)
Hi there,

Not a Go/No go affair, but an affair which you may need helpers and helpers may not always be there for you, always end up me and myself to move all the gadgets to & back! :?
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Hi there,

Not a Go/No go affair, but an affair which you may need helpers and helpers may not always be there for you, always end up me and myself to move all the gadgets to & back!
A trolley might help to carry the mount :-)
Actually, the bulk of the weight is your eq mount, the C8 weighs 5.5kg only and fits nicely into a 45ltr backpack. Use a giro or unistar mount and a medium duty surveyor tripod. Total weight of all this setup will be about 12kg only.