Observation Session 27 May 2005

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Just curious - why stack in Photoshop when it's so much quicker and accurate (ie sub-pixel registration + rotation) in Iris?
I did the registration and alignment in Iris and then stack and process in Photoshop. I do this way because I only got 1 day of experience in Iris... now two days :P, so not quite sure is there any other stacking method other than the few in the "Add a sequence..." dialog box.

Anyway, I have more experience in Photoshop and I can use different stacking method to control the contrast and signal-to-noise ratio. Also, Photoshop is more user-friendly... at least for now. So until I learn more and had more experience in Iris, I'll just use Photoshop for stacking and processing. :)

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

wah weixing...this is definitely an improvement...have to be man..so much TLC (tender loving and care) put into it! :-)
I'm amazed as I saw you take the images and its not like 15min or 30 min exposures here...
The second image (trifid) seems a tad noisier and has some tracking issues?

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The second image (trifid) seems a tad noisier and has some tracking issues?
The trifid nebula is a lot dimer than the lagoon nebula, so have to increase the brightness and contrast in order to make the nebula more visible.... and that also "enhance" the noise. :( Also, the star trail is not cause by tracking error... it is cause by the wind :( . When the wind blow, the telescope move slightly and that cause the star trail... In some image, all of the star in it became "double star" :(

Anyway, the attachment is the reprocess image of M27 Dumbbell nebula... it is also very dim, but now look better.

Have a nice day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: