Interesting Moments - Can I see Europe ?

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Lee
Vendor

Interesting Moments - Can I see Europe ?

Post by Lee »

Being a vendor we get calls from all walks of life enquiring on all sorts of queries relating or Maybe Not to scopes per se. Just this afternoon received an enquiry from a Madam living in Upper Bukit Timah.
She is looking for a general scope or maybe a bino.

The first question she asked; Can I see the moon from my house and she continued she can only see her neighbours and no sky. She knows about the brand Meade & Celestron and even Pentax bino. Some typical questions asked were :-

1. How do I know if its is a Star or a Planet
2. Can I see a Moon surface with a bino
3. Can I see Alien on the Moon & do you believe in Alien
4. Can I see people using a scope
5. Can I see thru cloud
6. Is Meade better or Celestron
7. Is Nikon, Pentax a better bino

But the best is

6. Can I see Europe with the scope

What's your answers ?
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Interesting Moments - Can I see Europe ?

Post by VinSnr »

Lee wrote:Being a vendor we get calls from all walks of life enquiring on all sorts of queries relating or Maybe Not to scopes per se. Just this afternoon received an enquiry from a Madam living in Upper Bukit Timah.

The first question she asked; Can I see the moon from my house and she continued she can only see her neighbours and no sky. She knows about the brand Meade & Celestron and even Pentax bino. Some typical questions asked were :-

5. Can I see thru cloud

But the best is

What's your answers ?
interesting questions she asked.

For question 6, I think I will tell her that surely she can see Europe. Buy the scope first and I will tell you how.

After she purchased the scope, tell her to point it at Jupiter. One of Jup's moon is Europa. Tell her that's Europe.

:lol:
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

I once had a couple ask me if I could point my scope at a passing jetliner and show them the Singapore Girls inside... :)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

The answer is to get her down to our observation parties, so we can re-calibrate and upload relevant info into her neural database! :lol:

As for Europe, tell her its better to see it with her eyes.

I remember one scene in Me, Myself and Irene starring Jim Carrey in which the girl lead took this boy's specs, points it at a jetliner in the sky and saw the passengers at the window! really funny..

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
kayheem

Re: Interesting Moments - Can I see Europe ?

Post by kayheem »

Lee wrote:Being a vendor we get calls from all walks of life enquiring on all sorts of queries relating or Maybe Not to scopes per se. Just this afternoon received an enquiry from a Madam living in Upper Bukit Timah.

5. Can I see thru cloud

But the best is

What's your answers ?
For question #5, you can say, "Can!" and proceed to sell them a radio telescope! :D

Kay Heem
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

OR

Get a Go-To scope in Europe, connect to a CCD & link to a Webcast via
the Internet and take full control from her house.

OR

Use a G3 Phone if available
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

dun think can see europe unless u tell her to buy a air ticket. anyway, the qns that most people ask me is "how far can this telescope see?" -_-

~MooEy~

Post by Guest »

Hi all,

Why all of u attack such a "nice" woman trying her best to ask "baby why" questions?

I am so sad that all of u reply with "enjoyment" and never show your good kind heart in all the words I read!!! such a shame! Do I need to address more???

Please try not to make fun of anyone, can all of us do that?

When this is a totally new subject such as astronomy or astrology or SETI, you bound to get stuck somewhere? Don't you agree that even the scientists are not sure whether Voyager I is at the edge of our solar system or not. The visible sky above all of us is only so small, there is nothing to boost about until we human can fly out Milky Way! Don't you want to fly out to found out the universe instead just sit on planet Earth to make fun of your own kind!!! If not, why are you interested in astronomy in the first place?

If all of u want this group to welcome more people (not just from Singapore) to particpate and ask silly questions, DON'T MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE!!! WOULD ALL OF U??? You people are the rare group (about 0.00005% - 200 members out of 4000000) in Singapore.

Special Note: If I am the one, then just drop me out as I do not think I can stand this group any longer!!! You guys own that "nice woman" an apology in your heart.

regards,
eric goh
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

This same lady called me twice within this 2 days.
She got a Eduscience scope (50mm, 16x & 60X), good binos and had
difficulty identifying objects in the sky. I have difficulty keeping up
with her questions. Ask her to contact Singastro for help. Maybe she is
reading this right now.

Helps needed to answer her questions.
Please forward your contact to me so that I could pass them to her if
she does call me again.

Thanks.
Wee Kiong
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

ericgoh wrote:Hi all,

Why all of u attack such a "nice" woman trying her best to ask "baby why" questions?
Hi Eric
I don't think our posts should be construed as being out to 'attack' that lady. Some of the remarks may be seen as a bit insensitive but we are really just joking around here and mean no harm.

If the lady is reading the posts here, do accept our sincere apologies if you are offended.

Hope this shall not deter newbies from asking questions here... We are all here to share and learn about this hobby. I am glad to note that there have been many questions posted by newbies here with at least as many useful replies and help given by the 'oldies'... :D

cheers!
Chee Chien