Solar Storms

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Sam Lee

Solar Storms

Post by Sam Lee »

That's the happening around the astro corner, isn't it. Just also recently, I found that StarHub seems to be shutting down their mobile service now and then. The same thing happen to others that are using Starhub mobile service. Its seems that this only happen at midnight. Is this because they are shutting down their satelite to prevent damages cause by the storm?

Regards,
Sam Lee

----------------------------------------
We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile.

--> I'm a Star Trekker!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I don't think so... But I'm quite worry for those who use a pacemaker... the solar storm could interrupt the pacemaker... Hope that this does happen... :(
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Solar Storms

Post by Airconvent »

Sam Lee wrote:That's the happening around the astro corner, isn't it. Just also recently, I found that StarHub seems to be shutting down their mobile service now and then. The same thing happen to others that are using Starhub mobile service. Its seems that this only happen at midnight. Is this because they are shutting down their satelite to prevent damages cause by the storm?
Regards,
Sam Lee
Well, firstly for local calls, no one use the satellite since the link usage cost money! Anyway, we have enough base stations for 99+% coverage. Secondly, being in the equator, we are the least effected.

Also, scientists can merely shut down the satellite during the storm. However, such storms heat up our upper atmosphere which causes it to expand and satellites orbiting in a vacuum suddenly find themselves inside out atmosphere and being slowed down by air resistance. Those with no fuel for manoeuvring will eventually be knocked out of orbit...

In any case, I did not encounter any disruptions for Singtel mobile network the past few days but do not use it after midnight, so its not conclusive.

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets