Saturn Watch 2003

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Saturn Watch 2003

Post by kcy »

OK guys I'm thinking of organising a Saturn Watch at then end of this year, which happens to be saturn's opposition to the sun. Below are some details about saturn.

Exact time of opposition : DEC 31, 2003 08:58 PM
In constellation : Gemini
Magnitude : -0.3
Tilt of Saturns rings : -25 Degrees
Saturn rises at : 7:30pm

General Info :

Diameter : 20.7" or 120,536 km
Volume (Earth = 1) : 755
Mass : 5.69 x 1026 kg or 95.2 (Earth = 1)
Density : 0.70 gm/cm3
Surface gravity : 1.16 (Earth = 1)
Rotation period (length of day in Earth days) : 0.44 (10.2 Earth hours)
Revolution period (length of year) : 29.46 Earth years
Mean surface temperature : -139.15 C (-218.47° F)

Some Info on the moons.

Titan 8.4 Mag 5,150 km(Size) 1,221,830 km(Orbital Distance from saturn)
Rhea 9.7 Mag 1,530 km 527,040 km
Tethys 10.3 Mag 1,060 km 294,660 km
Dione 10.4 Mag 1,120 km 377,400 km
Enceladus 11.8 Mag 500 km 238,020 km

All these satellities should be visible with an 5" scope or more.

Next Saturn opposition : 2005 Jan 13
Saturn oppositions occur every one year and two weeks (378.1 days), or 29 times every 30 years.

Similar to the MarsWatch event, I hope to get various polytechnics and JCs involved as well, needless to say Singastro!

Firstly, We have to settle on the date. The 31st is on a wednesday. Any suggestions?

P.S Its my first time organising such a big scaled event. I need all ya help guys!
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers
Devilname

Re: Saturn Watch 2003

Post by Devilname »

kcy wrote:OK guys I'm thinking of organising a Saturn Watch at then end of this year, which happens to be saturn's opposition to the sun. Below are some details about saturn.

Exact time of opposition : DEC 31, 2003 08:58 PM
In constellation : Gemini
Magnitude : -0.3
Tilt of Saturns rings : -25 Degrees
Saturn rises at : 7:30pm

General Info :

Diameter : 20.7" or 120,536 km
Volume (Earth = 1) : 755
Mass : 5.69 x 1026 kg or 95.2 (Earth = 1)
Density : 0.70 gm/cm3
Surface gravity : 1.16 (Earth = 1)
Rotation period (length of day in Earth days) : 0.44 (10.2 Earth hours)
Revolution period (length of year) : 29.46 Earth years
Mean surface temperature : -139.15 C (-218.47° F)

Some Info on the moons.

Titan 8.4 Mag 5,150 km(Size) 1,221,830 km(Orbital Distance from saturn)
Rhea 9.7 Mag 1,530 km 527,040 km
Tethys 10.3 Mag 1,060 km 294,660 km
Dione 10.4 Mag 1,120 km 377,400 km
Enceladus 11.8 Mag 500 km 238,020 km

All these satellities should be visible with an 5" scope or more.

Next Saturn opposition : 2005 Jan 13
Saturn oppositions occur every one year and two weeks (378.1 days), or 29 times every 30 years.

Similar to the MarsWatch event, I hope to get various polytechnics and JCs involved as well, needless to say Singastro!

Firstly, We have to settle on the date. The 31st is on a wednesday. Any suggestions?

P.S Its my first time organising such a big scaled event. I need all ya help guys!
the date is too special, because the next day is a new year's day, many of us will be partying the night out...so i dun think many will be free. Sadly for me, i will be working my night shift..sad. :(
Predict the skys! :wink:
..Animated recent 15-hour satellite images..
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~reality7/b.html
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

What about the first Sat after New Year? That should give pple enough time to recover from all the partying during X'mas and New Year. :) I suggest the open field near Eunos MRT station.
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

hmm...looks like a positive suggestion..Is the eunos field ya talking about near remus house?
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

yup. Easy access to food, drinks, toilet and transport... :)

Or we could select a place with more pedestrian traffic such as somewhere along the Marina waterfront near the Esplanade, or the roof-top terrace of the Esplanade itself. The latter is open to the public but for us to have an event there will probably require their approval.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

acc wrote:yup. Easy access to food, drinks, toilet and transport... :)

Or we could select a place with more pedestrian traffic such as somewhere along the Marina waterfront near the Esplanade, or the roof-top terrace of the Esplanade itself. The latter is open to the public but for us to have an event there will probably require their approval.
yup...if we are only looking at saturn, then no need for a dark place.
if we are to promote astonomy, then good that we set up at places of interests such as the esplanade, just like what the people in HK did. however, not sure if we need a license or permission for that?? anyone can confirm? also, be sure to print out some "Singastro" publicity material....you know,. a piece of paper telling the public our website, history and what we do here in singapore..

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

if we are to promote astonomy, then good that we set up at places of interests such as the esplanade, just like what the people in HK did. however, not sure if we need a license or permission for that?? anyone can confirm?
I think we will firstly need to ask the Police if we need a permit for the event since it's a sort of public entertainment and may be governed by the 'Public Entertainment Act', and we may also need to contact the relevant authorities who owns/manages that plot of land.
Samuel Ng
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

harlequin2902 wrote:
if we are to promote astonomy, then good that we set up at places of interests such as the esplanade, just like what the people in HK did. however, not sure if we need a license or permission for that?? anyone can confirm?
I think we will firstly need to ask the Police if we need a permit for the event since it's a sort of public entertainment and may be governed by the 'Public Entertainment Act', and we may also need to contact the relevant authorities who owns/manages that plot of land.
Good point. When speaking to the property management, it may be good to point out the S&T article on the success of the HKAS and how it can boost the publicity of the place you are using.

However, in case of a crowd, whose responsibilty is it for getting the police to help in crowd control?

Kay Heem
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

There are a lot of letters to be written if we're to engage that public entertaintment act. There's no way it can be done by this year. As to getting the police, i think if we're to engage the authorities for that plot of land then we might'a well inform them there may be a crowd, then ask him if he calls the police or we call....
Devilname

Post by Devilname »

What if the crowd becomes like the science centre one? News spreads very fast, one auntie will calls her frens, son, grandsons, daughters..then they will all call their frens, frens' frens, so on and so for...Singapore kiasu country..remember?
Predict the skys! :wink:
..Animated recent 15-hour satellite images..
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~reality7/b.html