HighRes Lunar Photography

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
kayheem

HighRes Lunar Photography

Post by kayheem »

Hi all,

Got this link off another astro group I was in:

http://www.astrosurf.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001915.html

Amazing pics, seems like taken from a space ship orbiting the moon!

Kay Heem
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi!

I must say that those images are truly spectacular!

Being totally new to the moon, I was hoping someone might help answer some questions:

1. Is it possible for an amatuer scope to resolve the same images in Singapore? Let's say on a perfect night, how would the 16" fare comparatively?

2. I noticed some erosion marks on Alphonse and Pitatus craters. Are these the results of water erosion?

3. Davy has a very interesting line of craters. I assume the must have been some fragmented meteorite that impacted in a line, but what would have caused this fragmentation in the first place? Can someone help explain the feature, and perhaps also give its scale as well?

4. Rectimontes looks like some kind of rocky outcrop, but what is it really?

Cheers,
Chris

ps. I read somewhere that orionids can impact the moon and create flashes visible from earth. Has any one attempted/observed any transient moon phenomena?
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Wow, great pictures. Darn it, now i really wished i had a good dobsonian and a Toucam with IR filter....

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

nice pics. looks like you're actually there! But I noticed that the focusing is not spot on...I guess its difficult to get perfect focus when looking through a LCD small display at high mag....

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Yeap, but to push it to so high without must image breakdown, its a feat. Seems like the toucam, IR filter works wonders!! I wonder where are the Toucam owners now???

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hmm..

I was wondering why no one has replied to my questions about the moon..

:(
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

chrisyeo wrote:Hmm..

I was wondering why no one has replied to my questions about the moon..

:(
sorry, apart from the rabbit and the fairy lady, I know nuts about the moon :lol: you would require one of those hardcore "mooners" like Remus who can identify all the surface features by hard. Unfortunately, he has not been in here often enough these days....

On the water issue, I think you would have read in the straits times or on space.com that scientists have concluded there is no water on the moon after some extensive studies. There are traces of hydrogen near the poles but that's all...

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets