Cheapo counterweight idea ...

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
jermng

Cheapo counterweight idea ...

Post by jermng »

Hi,
I just got a bigger OTA recently and obviously didn't take into account that I needed more counterweights for my EQ mount .. =)
Then idea struck me that I could maybe use some of my dumbbell weights lying around my room ..
Problem now is, how to secure it to the CW bar, the hole in the weight is much larger .. =) Anyone has any ideas? Can something be fabricated for it? =)
Any help is much appreciated .. =)

Cheers!
Jeremy Ng
rlow

Post by rlow »

Jeremy, just use some duct tape to secure your dumbbell to the counterweight. Or, like for me, I will sandwich the dumbbell between two counterweights.
jermng

Post by jermng »

Wah!!! HAHA ... why didn't I think of that?? Sandwich between 2 CWs!! =) HAHA ... Thanks for the tip man ... You use weightlifting weights for astro also?? =)
rlow

Post by rlow »

You use weightlifting weights for astro also?? =)
haha!@! yes, you can probably see that in action this coming weekend as my current counterweights will be insufficient.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
haha!@! yes, you can probably see that in action this coming weekend as my current counterweights will be insufficient.
So you already return from your oversea trip???

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
rlow

Post by rlow »

haha!! The "triplet" will probably fly themselves here within these few days. Including yours and Tachyon's, it looks like there will be at least five new ones for this week! We do need Quicksilver to do her sun-god sacrificial act for this weekend.
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Including yours and Tachyon's, it looks like there will be at least five new ones for this week!
I just hope my one will arrive in this week... Hmm... what did Tachyon get this time??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
qu1xs1lv3r

Post by qu1xs1lv3r »

rlow wrote:
haha!! The "triplet" will probably fly themselves here within these few days. Including yours and Tachyon's, it looks like there will be at least five new ones for this week! We do need Quicksilver to do her sun-god sacrificial act for this weekend.
hahaha well last night seemed pretty clear! i hav to check with my contacts first.. lolz wonder whose soul i can sell next!! kdding!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
rlow

Post by rlow »

Hmm... what did Tachyon get this time??
...it is the red tube thingy!
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Including yours and Tachyon's, it looks like there will be at least five new ones for this week!
Five new ones = Five time new scope curse... :twisted: :twisted: Also, today sky is quite clear... Hmm... Just wonder is this the calmness before the storm?? Hee hee hee :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing