Closest Known Galaxy Just Discovered

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Closest Known Galaxy Just Discovered

Post by Airconvent »

interesting...but the process is so slow that humans will never be able to see it. ironically, even if it happened faster, its going to be very difficult separating the stars from both galaxies when they merge. In fact, it is possible that when 2 galaxies collide, apart from interaction of gravity, the billions of stars will not hit each other due to the large spaces in between them.

ps, are you the Gary with the Skywatcher 102mm refractor? if yes, do register you equipment at the equipment database...thanks!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Also, M31 is going to crash with our galaxy in around 5 billion years time..... That will be a very spectacular view as the sky will have two "Milky Way"... The problem is we will not be able to live that long to see it... :(
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Rich,

I am not that Gary. I do not have a scope yet. I joined singastro yahoogroups about 6 months ago.

As I have suggested in my "test message" post in the Feedback section. I hope there will be a Members Introduction section.

This will save a lot of hassle of guessing/asking members identity. Especially in cases where there are simliar names/nicknames.

Also, it improves the community feel of the forum. :lol:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Gary wrote:Hi Rich,

I am not that Gary. I do not have a scope yet. I joined singastro yahoogroups about 6 months ago.

As I have suggested in my "test message" post in the Feedback section. I hope there will be a Members Introduction section.

This will save a lot of hassle of guessing/asking members identity. Especially in cases where there are simliar names/nicknames.

Also, it improves the community feel of the forum. :lol:
oh...wrong Gary...heh heh...in that case, welcome to singastro!
have fun..the stars will always be there for you.. :lol:

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets