Meteor watching

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
soulfrost

Meteor watching

Post by soulfrost »

um hi people~!

im pretty new to this meteor watching thing . and havent even had a single luck catching any leonids when i first got to know abt it.

anyone know where i should go in Seng Kang for a great view for the upcoming geminid showers? or even the Phoenicinids and Monocerotids ?

also , what is the use of a telescope? should i get a small portable one?
are telescopes expensive?

thanks in advance if u do answer!

~jz =3
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi!

You don't need too special a place to catch meteor showers. What you need is a place that is as dark as possible. This is because most meteors are just too faint. For example, you might be able to see up to 20 random meteors from a dark site in Mersing, but the light pollution, or 'sky glow', of Singapore will prevent you from seeing all but the very brightest flashes. So for your Seng Kang question, anywhere that is away from glaring street lamps and gives you a full view of the sky will be good enough.

Telescopes are not required for meteor viewing. They are used to view objects that are much smaller or dimmer, such nebulae, planets and star clusters. There is no need to get a telescope unless you want to enjoy these other astronomical objects. Some observers catch meteors through binoculars, but you own eyes are usually best for meteor watching.

Telescopes tend to be rather expensive, though prices have been coming down steadily. 2nd hand scopes are also very affordable. Browse our 'buy and sell' section for an overview of how much some scopes sell for. Also read the faqs if you're interested.

Cheers,
Chris
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
anyone know where i should go in Seng Kang for a great view for the upcoming geminid showers? or even the Phoenicinids and Monocerotids ?
Go to a dark site and stare at the night sky in a clear night are all you need for meteor viewing. :)
also , what is the use of a telescope?
Our eye's pupil is 7mm in diameter, so we all born with a pair of 1 x 7mm binoculars. =P So, basically what the telescope do is to act as a bigger "eye"... Increase the light gathering power and increase the resolution of what we can see... Of course the magnification of a telescope will make the object we want to see bigger and easier to see the detail, but high magnification doesn't mean we can see more details.
should i get a small portable one?
Portability is very importance... too big a scope, you'll be too lazy to bring out the scope and too small you won't see much... one word, get the biggest aperture (diameter of the mirror or lens) that you can move around easily, but try to get one with at least 4" aperture.
are telescopes expensive?
Quite expensive if you are a student and also depend on where you buy it from... basically a decent one will cost you may be around S$1000++ new, but you can always buy used one.

Anyway, you may want to join others and see their scope first before you decided to get one. One word, don't hurry in getting one.

By the way, Welcome to SingAstro and have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

hi
welcome to singastro!
don't forget to read up on the faq as well.

ps...are you the SOULZ guy I met the other day for the stylus? your nick, seng kang location and time to join this group is too much of a coincidence !
:lol:
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

um. no. i just happen to use the name tt all.

regarding this ... sengkang thing. im kinda lazy to go all e way to like say .east coast just to view. heez.
thanks anyway ^-^

now i know something else... human eyes are binoculars ... um thou i tink mine will have prob. my eyes are 600++ degrees . XD
qu1xs1lv3r

Post by qu1xs1lv3r »

i stay at sengkang! where do u stay! maybe u can come ob with me!
neoterryjoe
Favourite scope: c5

Post by neoterryjoe »

Hi!
Myopia or presbyopia(short and long sightedness) is not a problem. Telescope and binos will focus even if you do not wear specs. If you do have astigmatism, please do wear your specs( although there are correction lens available in the market for telescopes for astigmatism ).
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

coooL! um . i stay near seng kang sec. pretty ... um ugly buildings. to think before they built the buildings oposite where i lived, i use to be able to see fireworks even on the 5th floor =(

thanks guys! i guess now i know what to get when im in china XD
qu1xs1lv3r

Post by qu1xs1lv3r »

im on blk 226b.. keep u posted if il be obbing... today is raining! with thunder!!
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

heh. however i wouldnt be avaliable from dec 2 to dec 14. and dec 18 (rock climbing)