I'm just a beginner and i have a low budget

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

Aryanto wrote:hehehe. Want also can lah. :wink:
Somehow I think it is an asian influence huh. Want to Sell?
If you want, why you sell????

English is soooo confusing. I wish people speak math. :)
I think "Want to sell" is correct grammer.
blurblock

Re: I'm just a beginner and i have a low budget

Post by blurblock »

EdNet wrote:Hi everyone..
I have some help needed.. I am a beginner in astrophotography, a total newbie.. but have had an interest in it long ago.. I nv tot i would decide to get a telescope .. but now i really wan to have a telescope of my own.. but there's one thing.. telescopes are expensive.. but i have a low budget of like 100 bucks .. wat can i get as a beginner ? and where do i get it ??

Hope for ASAP replies
THANKS !!
That is indeed a low budget, do you think you can get a good camera with that price? Not to mention a telescope? :D
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

100 bucks is almost impossible to get a good enough telescope to see anything. It can't even buy a good finderscope. Astronomy like photography is a real expensive hobby. :)
AstroDuck
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Save for a few months and with $200, you may be able to get one of those cheap Meade refractors that Wee Kiong is selling. They are 60mm and better than dept store scopes. At least they don't lie about the magnification (x500! x1200!!) I nearly bought one but ended up upgrading to an ETX90 instead.
this scope should be able to last you a year or 2, let you learn the skies before aperture fever grips you!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
klutz

Post by klutz »

Actually, many things fascinate me. The Universe fascinate me the most, since young. As they say, "Curiousity kills the Kat". :) I doubt I can be a good astronomer though. This is such an expensive and complicated hobby... Hmm.. Guess I'll have to go ransack the Library again for a suitable book. Then I'll heed Xing Xing's advice to try and find a "line" in the sky...
You guys keep talking about the "M" something (M42) here and there. Why do they not have a "proper" name? I've seen quite a few pictures at Space Update. What are they exactly? Okay, okay, I'll go try and look for the answer myself first.
Weixing, in case you are holding some session in Tampines, and in case I am not able to check your session online, can you please SMS me instead? I'll YIM you my number tomoro. :)

Good nite, pals.
Klutz
You know dat children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers...
neoterryjoe
Favourite scope: c5

Post by neoterryjoe »

Hey, guess what? Nothing is impossible in singastro! There are even scopes for loan! Not much conditions, just dont spoil it!! i'm sure there are many fellow astromers who would gladly teach you how to handle telescopes properly, so do not worry. But I would recommend you to get oriented with the skies before you make any attempt to search for the deep sky objects with the telescope!! :D

Link: http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

The best is to start with a good star chart and a binoculars. :) Astronomy needs patience, but you can learn it faster from other singastro members. At least you won't like give up trying on your own.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

klutz wrote: This is such an expensive and complicated hobby... Hmm.. Guess I'll have to go ransack the Library again for a suitable book. Then I'll heed Xing Xing's advice to try and find a "line" in the sky...
You guys keep talking about the "M" something (M42) here and there. Why do they not have a "proper" name? I've seen quite a few pictures at Space Update. What are they exactly? Okay, okay, I'll go try and look for the answer myself first.
actually, whether you are a good astronomer depends on how "hungry" you are...I've been in the hobby for some years now but some of the newbies know more about star hopping than me! the really hungry ones would be weixing and gang... in my case, I take it slow and easy...
just move at the pace you are comfortable with.
and no, it does not have to be expensive. for a few hundred dollars, you can have a basic starter kit...but ebfore you do that, you can drop by the obs session and "borrow" other people's expensive scopes to try and see where your calling is...be it refractor, newtonians or compounf scopes...

there are billions of objects in the skies and only a fraction have numbers assigned to it and a much less of several thousands actually have names.
many are identified according to catalogs. the most popular one is the Messier Catalog, compiled by Charles Messier. objects in his catalog starts with "M". Other catalogs include IC, NGC, Abell and Cladwell.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
klutz

Post by klutz »

Know what? Guys, I'm really touched and glad to have you ppl to guide me thru, to provide me informations etc... Actually, I do have a "budget" Bino, but I do not know what range it is. I din't know a Bino can be used for star gazing. It's for my bird-watching actually. Perhaps I'll try to use it for star-peeping tonite. Perhaps I'll need a compass?

I am not a "hungry" person. All I enjoy is watching and wondering, the stars, the animals and especially birds. I've been watching birds for years, but I dun really know (and I seldom find out) their names. Just an interest to watch them. Seldom to study them. But I guess it would be exciting to "explore" and "discover" some stars. If only we can travel to space as easily as crossing over to JB...

Thanks, Orange Boy W/Orange Scope, for the weblink and info! I'm really happy and thrilled to know I can loan a scope for FREE. However, I do not drive. Will it be unsafe to handcarry it around? I'm not called Klutz for nothing... :( However, I'll try to contact Wee Kiong to collect a queue number. :) Meanwhile, I can try to figure out some star maps first.

Thank you ppl,
Klutz
You know dat children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers...
neoterryjoe
Favourite scope: c5

Post by neoterryjoe »

Hi!
It should be ok if you just take conscious effort to prevent it from hard contact. The carrying bag should be padded so its ok. One thing about this hobby is that you need to have the patience and some passion. The skies here are *ahem*(you get what i mean), and it might take some effort to lug that eq mount downstairs AND to some dark place(hopefully near!), set up. After that much effort, hopefully you might have some energy, enthusiaism and patience to carry on the observation, you would be able to enjoy the sky(that is if the sky doesnt suddenly become cloudy!).
[do i sound too passive??]
Conclusion, for starters, get a bino!!! :P