I am a newbie to astro

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The latitude adjustment is use to adjust to your local latitude... Singapore is around 1 deg. Most equatorials mount's latitude adjustment are not very accurate, but is good enough for visual purpose. For long exposure astrophotography, you need to set your latitude as accurate as possible. Use the drift star alignment mention above to help you to accurately adjust to your local latitude.

Have a nice day... :)
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Kamikazer

Post by Kamikazer »

how would dews damage newtonian reflectors and other scopes?
K.L. Lee
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Dew won't damage your scope, just let it dry and it will be OK. The only problem is that when there are also dust with the dew, it may leave a dusty layer that stick on your mirror/lens when the dew dry. If you try to clean it, it may scratch the mirror/lens if you are not careful.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Dew won't damage your scope, just let it dry and it will be OK. The only problem is that when there are also dust with the dew, it may leave a dusty layer that stick on your mirror/lens when the dew dry. If you try to clean it, it may scratch the mirror/lens if you are not careful.
Newtonians are so delicate... How do you all deal with it? I have seen 2 newts, in very bad shape though...
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

zong wrote:
weixing wrote:Hi,
Newtonians are so delicate... How do you all deal with it? I have seen 2 newts, in very bad shape though...
Hi Zong,
What do you mean by "very bad shape"? Is the mirror very dirty (in which case a soft cotton ball and some diluted Isoproply solution can gently clean it up) or has damaging spots appear on its surface? The good thing about Newtonians is that its pretty easy to replace the mirror. Samuel Ng should be able to make some recommendations in this area.

rich

ps so whose 2 newts are those? if a singastro member, do remind him/her to update in the equipment database ...thanks :lol:
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Kamikazer

Post by Kamikazer »

do you guys master the skys and before getting a scope, or got a scope to master the skys?
K.L. Lee
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
For me, I didn't master the sky and I think I won't be able to master it, because I'm those that don't have a good memory... Ha Ha... :)

Anyway, I use the star chart to find my way around... that why you get a star chart right ??? Ha Ha... :P
Yang Weixing
Kamikazer

Post by Kamikazer »

the master part was an analogy...and do star charts (not computer progs) show dso?

anyway i just found out i got a camera that can be used for astro
but i dont have a mount....and what should our exposure time be?

thanks
K.L. Lee
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Airconvent wrote:
Hi Zong,
What do you mean by "very bad shape"? Is the mirror very dirty (in which case a soft cotton ball and some diluted Isoproply solution can gently clean it up) or has damaging spots appear on its surface? The good thing about Newtonians is that its pretty easy to replace the mirror. Samuel Ng should be able to make some recommendations in this area.

rich

ps so whose 2 newts are those? if a singastro member, do remind him/her to update in the equipment database ...thanks :lol:
haha, they're not mine, of course! I don't have a scope. They're property of my sec sch. Borrowed once for observation before, that's how I saw them. Not anybody's. So there's still no update of anything in the equipment database, not for me anyway. All I've got is a 12x50, which is starting to wear out already i think... :cry:
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Yes... A good star chart will show quite a lots of DSO... such as Star Altas 2000.0...

What type of camera.... a digital camera or a film camera???
Yang Weixing