Newbie attempt at Saturn

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
adree

Newbie attempt at Saturn

Post by adree »

Tried taking Saturn, and this is what i got...

Image is quite blur and no details can be seen...
10images stacked.

but hey, it's my first attempt :)

Adrian
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Newbie attempt at Saturn

Post by Airconvent »

adree wrote:Tried taking Saturn, and this is what i got...

Image is quite blur and no details can be seen...
10images stacked.

but hey, it's my first attempt :)

Adrian
at least you have an attempt. the skies have not been predictable and the window of opportunity on Satuday nights have been a disappointment.
To all posters of astro photos, it would help the others to state how the photo was take, taken by what camera and what settings. Don't worry about a first attempt. If you can see the rings, its good! Long after you have become an expert, you will still come back to this pic and say "hey...this is my first pic!"....enjoy!

ps. I have yet to take any "real" saturn shots. the crude attempts I made in Mersing recently were lost when my harddisk called it a day...

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
adree

Post by adree »

ah sorry to miss out the details.
Here they are:
Taken today, using Philips ToUcam Pro 740K, on a Celestron FS 114.
Using a 2x Barlow.
Focusing was tough, getting saturn on the screen is tougher!!
Adjusted some settings here and there, taken in b&w.

Adrian
" Boundaries don't hold us. Don't let them hold you. The only boundary is your imagination. "
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

adree wrote:ah sorry to miss out the details.
Here they are:
Taken today, using Philips ToUcam Pro 740K, on a Celestron FS 114.
Using a 2x Barlow.
Focusing was tough, getting saturn on the screen is tougher!!
Adjusted some settings here and there, taken in b&w.

Adrian

ooooh...you're using a Philips Toucam...the pics can only get better up the learning curve! but without an RA drive, its best that you ask the astrophoto guru Remus how he does manual guiding or Michael (his disciple!). I can never understand how a hand can keep steady lock on an object in the FOV.... :shock:

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
universe24

Post by universe24 »

Nearly impossible to do hand/manual guiding...
Remus...just amazing!!!
elton

Post by elton »

Sam Chng tried once to use the toucam on my teleport to image mars. Even at f5 (1250mm), placing the image on the chip was tough but we managed to grab a few dozen frames. Focus was dubious. I tried to guide by manually moving the dob with some success but we ended up letting the image drift across the ccd while imaging. This is the result of his image processing. Still possible i guess...
adree

Post by adree »

Just wondering, to improve my image, i guess the only way is to get a bigger telescope?
Or is there anyother way to achieve better results short of getting more apeture ?
" Boundaries don't hold us. Don't let them hold you. The only boundary is your imagination. "
universe24

Post by universe24 »

elton wrote:Sam Chng tried once to use the toucam on my teleport to image mars. Even at f5 (1250mm), placing the image on the chip was tough but we managed to grab a few dozen frames. Focus was dubious. I tried to guide by manually moving the dob with some success but we ended up letting the image drift across the ccd while imaging. This is the result of his image processing. Still possible i guess...
This maybe the best Mars image taken by 114mm scope :shock:
If Mars can get like this clear, then the Saturn image should have chance to be better...
adree

Post by adree »

universe24 wrote:
elton wrote:Sam Chng tried once to use the toucam on my teleport to image mars. Even at f5 (1250mm), placing the image on the chip was tough but we managed to grab a few dozen frames. Focus was dubious. I tried to guide by manually moving the dob with some success but we ended up letting the image drift across the ccd while imaging. This is the result of his image processing. Still possible i guess...
This maybe the best Mars image taken by 114mm scope :shock:
If Mars can get like this clear, then the Saturn image should have chance to be better...
I think the image was taken from a 10" teleport scope
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think the image is the result of excellent image processing.... It is nearly impossible to take a image like this without any image processing. Anway, the image is very detail, but may be a bit too detail that look unnatural... :)

By the way, I always wonder how you guys manage to process the image... it just incredible... May be you guys should post some article or tutorial showing us how to do image processing :D
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: