Bino

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Aryanto

Post by Aryanto »

klutz wrote:
Anyway, thinking of getting a bino again for birding and use as a grap and go scope...
Can go Ubin or Sungei Buloh for birding someday... :D
Klutz who are you quoting?
I also want to go. Actually I initially join to get a scope for birding but then attended some "star party" at Science Center... not by singastro, and got a bit interested. Bought my scope. (a cat, although I am actually a dog lover) Taken some shot of moon. Still need a lot of training with birds and even more with stars.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Hi Klutz,
No wonder you wear contacts. I think most contacts don't correct astigmatism. Therefore with your astigmatism it is the cause of the double image or unfocused image. Tail like stars.. that is what I see when I do not wear my specs. Therefore, I suggest you wear your specs when you use the 10x50 binocs. Also, your specs have to be corrected for astigmatism and actually I feel that most opticians purposely undercorrect the astigmatism so that we don't feel so giddy when using the specs. However, it is detrimental when you are using binocs are low power viewing through the telescope. So, just try it with your specs and see if the stars become a dot and not a dot with a tail.
AstroDuck
rlow

Post by rlow »

If you want, you can try someone's 8x42 for less shake and the same exit pupil .... It doesn't seem popular in Spore though, so I don't know who has one. It's the next bino I'll be interested in so I'm looking to try one too....
Hi Jeremy, you can try my Nikon 10x42 Monarch, which I got for astronomy & birding use. It is very lightweight, compact, waterproof and excellent optics (sharp & contrasty to the very edge), with long eye-relief that I can see the whole 60 deg AFoV even with specs on. No aching arms or neck even after using the whole night in Mersing. Nikon also has a 8x42 version.
jermng

Post by jermng »

Hey Richard ... sounds like a good idea!! Higher magnification, slightly smaller exit pupil for light pollution (you remember the 2 spotlights next to my pool right?) ...hmmm ... :)

I'll try it out .... !! But I'm actually looking for somethng that is more "stable" than my 12x ... so 10x might be a little too close .. my 7x35 is very comfortable in terms of shake ... but like I said ... "I'll try it out" :)

BTW, have you noticed even though we always meet and talk bout stuff, we haven't really ob together before other than Mersing .. HAHAHA ... (short trips to Tuas dun count ...:) )

Just a side note to rlow (mod pls ignore): I haven't had the time to take out my C8 and bino dew shields to measure since I re-started work after CNY hols .. will try and get the measurements and sms you this weekend k? BTW, is it self adhesive? Can reply via PM if you want. I'm just dropping this in since I thought of it now. :) Thanks! :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
klutz

Post by klutz »

Klutz who are you quoting?
I'm quoting from Master Weixing... :D

Hi Jeremy, you can try my Nikon 10x42 Monarch, which I got for astronomy & birding use. It is very lightweight, compact, waterproof and excellent optics (sharp & contrasty to the very edge), with long eye-relief that I can see the whole 60 deg AFoV even with specs on. No aching arms or neck even after using the whole night in Mersing. Nikon also has a 8x42 version.
RLow, Nikon should get you to be their spokeman for Bino... :D haha... Thanks for promoting it!

However, it is detrimental when you are using binocs are low power viewing through the telescope. So, just try it with your specs and see if the stars become a dot and not a dot with a tail.
I've tried glasses with my 10x25 & JW's 10x50 at home... It's harder to see with glasses. So frustrating... I'll keep trying though... Maybe even go for an eye check this weekend.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Yes, do go for a check. If you do have astigmatism more than 0.75D (75 degrees to the layman), you should use toric contact lenses. These are pricier than the usual, but they correct astigmatism.
denebman

Post by denebman »

Just for your information, I recommend two well-made top notch Nikon bino.

1. 8X32 EII (very sharp and contrasty, long eyerelief with big AFOV, quick centre focus and very good near focus, I've seen through one and was really impressed. the only con is that it is not fully water proof)

2. 8X32 superior E (just like its cousin EII but shows sharper image and a bit smaller AFOV, also NOT water proof :( )
10" Telekit with Zambuto optics~TMB 152/1200 (construction)~Takashi Mewlon 210~TMB 80/600
rlow

Post by rlow »

RLow, Nikon should get you to be their spokeman for Bino... haha... Thanks for promoting it!

Quote:However, it is detrimental when you are using binocs are low power viewing through the telescope. So, just try it with your specs and see if the stars become a dot and not a dot with a tail.

I've tried glasses with my 10x25 & JW's 10x50 at home... It's harder to see with glasses. So frustrating... I'll keep trying though... Maybe even go for an eye check this weekend.
No lah, I am not working for Nikon :) just hightlighting good stuff to our fellow Singastro members. If you like, I can also let you also try it (maybe Jeremy can arrange that since you and I also want to try his 20x80), as it is very comfortable with specs on, and no problem to merge the view as one image.
jermng

Post by jermng »

Eh, Richard, wanna try the 20x80s? Early never say ... :) hee hee ..
okok .... tonight's only good fo rainbow watching though.... :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
klutz

Post by klutz »

No lah, I am not working for Nikon just hightlighting good stuff to our fellow Singastro members. If you like, I can also let you also try it (maybe Jeremy can arrange that since you and I also want to try his 20x80), as it is very comfortable with specs on, and no problem to merge the view as one image.
Jeremy, arrange a day for us to try your 20x80 ba... :) I can also see Richard's Nikon Bino...
You know dat children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers...