Questions on organising an overseas school observation trip

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
jonalin

Questions on organising an overseas school observation trip

Post by jonalin »

i'm the vice-president of a school's astro club and we're interested in having an observation overseas this coming june holidays. mersing seems like a good place, and if i remember correctly, some of you SingAstro members have actually gone to Mersing in the past to observe right? we'll really appreciate it if you can provide us with some useful relevant information, like food and accommodation and possibly security and cost considerations? would it be wise to go by ourselves without a tour guide?

we're also considering another alternative location, Loola Resort in Bintan, not sure if you've heard of it before. It's this place where we'll get accomodation and guides to run a tour programme for us if we apply. it has no lights for a 7km radius! or so they claim :P which do you guys think would be better for us?

thanks for your help we really appreciate it :)
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi Jonalin,

Which school are you from?

I would suggest getting to know some people or teachers from other school clubs (e.g. HCI, NJC, CJC, NYP, SP). I know that some of them go for trips themselves so you can get good advice from them and even ask if you can join in. You can get these contacts via the net, or ask around.

If this is a first trip, in the interest of convenience and safety, the Bintan location is prob a good choice.

Cheers,
Chris
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
i'm the vicepres of a school's astro club and we're interested in having an observation overseas this coming june holidays. mersing seems like a good place, and if i remember correctly, some of you SingAstro members have actually gone to Mersing in the past to observe right? we'll really appreciate it if you can provide us with some useful relevant information, like food and accomodation and possibly security and cost considerations? would it be wise to go by ourselves without a tour guide?
There is currently a trip to Mersing this coming March and the thread contain a lots of information on it. You may want to contact remus who organize this coming trip for more information on how to go there and accomodation.
we're also considering another alternative location, Loola Resort in Bintan, not sure if you've heard of it before. It's this place where we'll get accomodation and guides to run a tour programme for us if we apply. it has no lights for a 7km radius! or so they claim which do you guys think would be better for us?
Seem to be a nice place and seem like they also have telescope... :)

Anyway, since you never go to Mersing before, I think the resort should be a better choice if the resort can help you on the custom clearance if you are going to bring equipment there... Also, may be you can ask for a night scenery photo from them, so that can judge the light pollution.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Hi,

I have been to Loola Resort in Bintan. It is a good place to observe. Dark enough (if no clouds blocking that is) to see the Milkyway. Also, they even serve great 'mee goreng' instant noodles in the night if you request. haa. There is an observation area on the kelong but I seriously don't suggest you put the scope there due to vibration on the Kelong. If you were to observe, I suggest you go to the beach area and probably you can ask the staff there to turn off the lights. However, let me warn you that it is a real outback place. No aircon, no proper toilet facilities except only in the chalet area; also tonnes of mosquitoes. The food is good though and there are quite a lot of activities including a flying fox that is from a 4 storey building height.
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

In terms of safety and convenience(since it is a sch trip), Bintan is probably a better option. However, u gotta take into account cost(which will probably be higher).

(OT: lol jon LOL)
Paradigm_sg

Post by Paradigm_sg »

Organised trips to M'sia before. Wat sch u fr. I would get more helpers if I am bringing sec sch students. Wat is your budget? May be good to charter a bus to M'sia if you are not too familiar w organising and admin stuff.

Helps you to boost your confidence in organising as well as allow your teachers and parents of students to have some confidence. If you are on a tight budget, no point trying out all the exotic places and unless you are prepared to camp in the open. Find a nice chalet and book 1 for guys and 1 for gals would be quite comfortable for a group of 10. Watch out for each other, esp when gals need to return to chalet etc. Food and water are essentials. Feel free to email me at paradigm_sg@yahoo.com.sg if you want to discuss more.