Recommendations for Astro Software Needed

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
kayheem

Recommendations for Astro Software Needed

Post by kayheem »

Hi all,

My wife has just got a new PDA and I would like to load some suitable astro software into it. I would like to use it as a planetarium and it should be able to give basic details of deepsky objects and show a star chart with limiting magnitudes etc.

Can anyone recommend any? My wife is using the new Palm Tungsten W, running the Palm OS 5.

Thanks!

Kay Heem
JY

Post by JY »

Since 2001, I have been using Star Pilot version 3.33 ( http://www.star-pilot.com ).
I downloaded a beta version (free) then and have been extremelly happy with it : it has a suite of applications, including planetarium, Messier listing (time of rise and set), planets positions, etc ...

Have a look there and see if it is what you are looking for.

Jean-Yves
Gary

Post by Gary »

elton

Post by elton »

Kay Heem,
Are you going for a SGT solution? Not necessary if you already have goto but sounds like a lot of fun to be able to see on your PDA star chart where your scope is pointing to. I think a few of the software mentioned here have SGT capability. I'm still trying to figure this out and dun mind having some kakis.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

elton wrote:Kay Heem,
Are you going for a SGT solution? Not necessary if you already have goto but sounds like a lot of fun to be able to see on your PDA star chart where your scope is pointing to. I think a few of the software mentioned here have SGT capability. I'm still trying to figure this out and dun mind having some kakis.
No, I just want to have a planetarium software / starchart so I do not need to use my Bright Star Atlas (Wil Trion) with a red torch in my mouth!

You may like to take a look at:

www.palmsource.com

Do a search and see what you can come up with. I did remember seeing at least one that can control the scope or at least act as a DSC with the appropriate connectors.

Kay Heem