Newbie question

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
HoO_Germany
Vendor

Post by HoO_Germany »

ariefm71 wrote:Yes, Euro to S$ is around 1.95, but your price (10" Lightbridge for $649) is in USD, not Euro, right?

cheers,
....right, now I understand
:P :)

Clear skys
Robert
House of Optics Germany
Intes-Micro/Ylena/STF/LOMO/Synta
www.hoo-germany.de
e-mail: info(@)hoo-germany.de
Tel.: +49 2452 976144
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Hi Toolkit,

I am actually trying to sell my 8 inch f/6 Orion dob package at a price well within your budget ($650) and with additional accessories that would otherwise cost a lot if you buy it on your own. I am still waiting for the reply of another person. If he is not interested in my scope, I don't mind giving you a chance to look at it and consider if the size and space constraints are ok with you. Setting up the dob is really a breeze. You just need to put the OTA (Optical Tube Assembly) onto the rocker box and there you go; you have an alta azimuth and well balanced setup ready for stargazing. Collimation (alignment of the optics sort of like tuning a musical instrument) may be needed if the scope is bumped around. If you are looking at a scope that can perform well, very easy setup and cheap, the dob is for you. If you are looking for a scope that is small then the dob is not good for you. I will feed you more details of this package if you are interested. Thanks.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

ariefm71 wrote:Toolkit, a quick visit to Astro Scientific at the SG Science Center will give you an idea of different sizes of scopes available (but look elsewhere if you want to buy). For planetary, I would second Kayheem's recommendation of getting a 5" MCT on a Manfrotto tripod, but get the Microstar mount instead of Manfrotto head. Astrobargain has the Microstar for sale, I think.

You can browse our Buy and Sell section for well-tested and proven (aka. used) scopes and mounts.

Robert, I think your prices is in USD, so need to multiply by 1.7 :-)

cheers,
Arief
Or buy my Nexstar 5i.

You have a fully capable and proven GOTO mount, great optics, easy to use and a price that is just slightly above $1K. Inclusive of the tripod too!

You cannot find any deal in Singastro better than this.

http://www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/tel/nx5i.htm
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi Toolkit
I would highly recommend the dobsonian from Canopus. It is a great beginner's scope that is simple to set up and use (just plonk it down on the ground and off you go). The 8" aperture is the minimum that will begin to unravel details in the dimmer deep-sky objects that would otherwise be just smudges on smaller scopes. It will show you lots of details on the Jupiter and Saturn as well.

But if you want a GOTO scope to save the hassle of star-hopping, Vincent's N5i is a good deal.

Try not to get anything with an equatorial mount which is a hassle to setup and use, and not go below 5" in aperture. Anything below 90mm is no-no as a first scope :)

cheers
cc
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

for beginners, I would recommend vincent's N5i...goto is great especially if you don't know what to see ! 5" is a little small for singapore skies but I think its adequate for your needs for now plus you can also buy the gps option and upgrade it too!

imho, eventually you will be looking for an 8" scope and canopu's one would be good but do you drive or live in a house with a garden? the 8" dob is full length, so its quite too big for easy transport..

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Aiyo, 8" dob very easy to move around, la :) :) I have a small build but manage to handle a 10" dob quite easily.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Yes, do take a look at the dob at Astro Scientific to have a feel of the size. You may have a car to transport it in, but if you are going to a dark site that does not allow a car to drive right into, you will think twice about getting a dob (unless it is a truss dob e.g. portaball or teleport). I think even the Meade LightBridge can be a handful because of the hefty base.

Arief's suggestion for a microstar mount is good, but for planetary viewing, I feel that the geared head is better. YMMMV.

Kay Heem
toolkit

Post by toolkit »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your advice. My first step is to go the
Science Centre to view the telescope. Scopes
narrowed down to dob or SCT type.

Maybe after looking at the dob visually it will scare me
to buy a SCT :) Right now, my personal feelings is
I prefer to watch the skies without any computerised
help. I am trying to see if I can watch a scope
and see the first sight of the planets without attending
a sky party first ..... That will be an awesome
experience for me and the family ....
neoterryjoe
Favourite scope: c5

Post by neoterryjoe »

Suddenly everybody is doing advertisement.. haha just kidding.. :D
Hi toolkit, welcome to this hobby.. Im sure you will enjoy the night sky a lot like all of us here. You can check out the buy and sell section if you decided on getting a scope. There are actually a few of them selling the manfrotto tripod..

In addition, you might want to join us for observation trips to mersing/batu layar for maximum satisfaction. There is one coming up at the end of may.
More info:
http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=3243
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

toolkit wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your advice. My first step is to go the
Science Centre to view the telescope. Scopes
narrowed down to dob or SCT type.

Maybe after looking at the dob visually it will scare me
to buy a SCT :) Right now, my personal feelings is
I prefer to watch the skies without any computerised
help. I am trying to see if I can watch a scope
and see the first sight of the planets without attending
a sky party first ..... That will be an awesome
experience for me and the family ....
Go down to the Science centre and take a look. Best you ask them what is their price of the Nexstar 5i with tripod and then come back and look at my price..hehehe

Anyway, if you are just starting out, my suggestion is a scope that is not too big and not too expensive. Portability is one main killer of any new amateurs, even if you drive.