suggestions on what telescopes to purchase

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

starsinanutshell wrote:for example a my ignorant auntie bought a powerseeker 50 which cost 200bucks!i tink that a rip,isnt it?
Not at all! A Powerseeker 60 with altazimuth mount is selling at Astronomics at US$59.95 with free local shipping. That works out to S$98.90 with exchange rate of 1:1.65 (remember the credit card charges). Now, using vpost, it would cost at least S$56.82 with standard packing size (100x20x20 cm, 7 Ibs). That works out to S$155.72. Add to that the dealer's margin of 20%, the total cost would be about >S$186.90, not so far from the S$200 your aunt paid. And if the scope comes with the EQ mount, then you are way ahead as the total cost would come to >S$226.50 including dealer's margin.

The only rip-off in this case would be that the resale value for this scope is probably very low, and that for a few hundred dollars more you could get a decent APO at similar aperture!

Cheers!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
starsinanutshell

Post by starsinanutshell »

anyone knows how much does a celestron 114eq short tube cost?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
anyone knows how much does a celestron 114eq short tube cost?
Avoid those newtonian that appear a lots shorter than the focal length... Those scope got a built-in "corrector" that make the focal length longer... I think the "normal" length version will be a better choice.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
starsinanutshell

Post by starsinanutshell »

any suggestions of a better scope roughly around 800bucks??thanks for the advice
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
If you don't mind the bulkiness, Canopus Lim is selling his Orion XT8 package at $600 only!!! That's an excellent deal!!!

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

starsinanutshell wrote:any suggestions of a better scope roughly around 800bucks??thanks for the advice
Pay a bit more and get this :

You won't regret it
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

VinSnr,

Are you selling a second hand 5i (5i right?) or are you recommending to buy a new piece for a little more than S$800?
Wee Nghee the Pooh
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Are you selling a second hand 5i (5i right?) or are you recommending to buy a new piece for a little more than S$800?
He is suggesting you to buy his used NexStar 5i by paying a bit more than S$800... I think his is selling at S$1170... hee hee hee :P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

The Nexstar 5i is an excellent scope for lazy beginners (like me).
And the prices Vincent sells them are crazy. I wished he had bought an N8i previously so I can buy it for a song! :-)
For goto, all you need to do is learn a few constellations so you know some of the common stars. This will help you do alignment and the rest is up to the computer. If you have cash to burn later on, add the gps module too!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
HoO_Germany
Vendor

Post by HoO_Germany »

starsinanutshell wrote:any suggestions of a better scope roughly around 800bucks??thanks for the advice
If you search for a planetary telescope, this one will show you these very good. It is a classical Cassegrain with an open tube, so there will be none tube-seeing problems

The price is with 580 Euro wich is = 1131,46 S$ not high, but the telescope is complete and I would give you in the price 2 more eyepieces Plossl in 32mm and 17mm.

More technical information about the telescope you can find here
http://www.hoo-germany.de/produkt.php?prd=95

Clear skys
Robert
House of Optics Germany
Intes-Micro/Ylena/STF/LOMO/Synta
www.hoo-germany.de
e-mail: info(@)hoo-germany.de
Tel.: +49 2452 976144