how to pack and protect my scope

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
qu1xs1lv3r

how to pack and protect my scope

Post by qu1xs1lv3r »

Hi all!! finally my trip the US has been finalised and I want to bring my celestron powerseeker.. OTA is over a meter long and not that heavy.. i currently carry it around in large army duffel bag...

or i can just bring my dad's apex 90mm mak but it has really crappy mount head!

so either enlighten me how i can carry my equipment (id rather bring this once cz im so used to it already!)

or who can sell me a good working manfrotto 410!

im flying on may 5!

any advise is highly appreciated! thanks guys!
clittle

Re: how to pack and protect my scope

Post by clittle »

qu1xs1lv3r wrote:Hi all!! finally my trip the US has been finalised and I want to bring my celestron powerseeker.. OTA is over a meter long and not that heavy.. i currently carry it around in large army duffel bag...

or i can just bring my dad's apex 90mm mak but it has really crappy mount head!

so either enlighten me how i can carry my equipment (id rather bring this once cz im so used to it already!)

or who can sell me a good working manfrotto 410!

im flying on may 5!

any advise is highly appreciated! thanks guys!
Just check-in like normal. I am not sure what kind of suggestions you looking for here.
qu1xs1lv3r

Post by qu1xs1lv3r »

uhmm i dont think i can check as normal it has no padding no proper protection.. i dont think i can afford to buy those pelican case... and i work in the airport baggage business... i dont think i can put my precious through that! hahaha

so i guess wat kind of padding can i get to wrap or something.. and where? thanks!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

the power seeker is one of those cheap 60mm refractors? maybe you can put it in a long fishing rod bag and sling it like a rifle?
Actually I'm more to you bringing the 90mm Mak instead. Put it in a camcorder bag with all your accessories (diagonal, red dot and 2 to 3 eyepiece) and hand carry onboard. For such a light scope, go to SLS Alan Photo, buy a china brand tripod that is light, short and cheap. This can be packed in your suitcase together with our 410 head.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

qu1xs1lv3r wrote:uhmm i dont think i can check as normal it has no padding no proper protection.. i dont think i can afford to buy those pelican case... so i guess wat kind of padding can i get to wrap or something...
Try buying cheap exercise mats (something like those for Yoga exercises) to wrap around it.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

alvinsclee wrote:Try buying cheap exercise mats (something like those for Yoga exercises) to wrap around it.
I bought them as cushion for my ex-ED80 but I don't think the cheap 60mm refractors are worth the effort. their structure are simply and not fragile like the more expensive OTAs. my suggestion is still to bring the 90mm Mak instead. and a camcorder bag is quite easy to bring onboard an aircraft...
qu1xs1lv3r

Post by qu1xs1lv3r »

err... powerseeker 114 is a 4inch newtonian reflector... and its no way cheap when i bought it! lolz

and the 90mm mak it has its own carrying case and i have no problem bringing it except i dont have a 410 manfrotto jz a the ball type mount which frankly im quite tired of...

so say i do hav a couple of yoga mats do i jz wrap it around then stick back into the duffle bag?
Attachments
Pic-july018.jpg
Pic-july018.jpg (34.01 KiB) Viewed 10951 times
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

wow...sorry. Had no idea it was a Newtonian although I should have suspected it. You must be crazy to bring such a bulky scope along for your trip unless its a pure astro trip like what remus do in australia. the 90 mak is your better bet. a 410 head can be bought from funan alan photo (saw one there the last time I was there) or cathay photo. I think john 3:16 also may have it.
but to save weight, I think its better you simply settle for a light tripods integrated with 2-way swivel heads. bring wider view eyepieces , eg 32mm.

btw, did you consider a Bino instead??
qu1xs1lv3r

Post by qu1xs1lv3r »

yeah im thinking of bringing my bino too... the reason i wna bring the newtonian is so i can find an excuse to leave it there n get myself a new one! haha
jermng

Post by jermng »

Hi, just some thoughts. Just came back from a plane trip with my megrez+055 tripod+410 gear head.

1. I couldn't fit the tripod into a Samsonite Oyster. :( Had to hand carry

2. I couldn't hand carry cos they don't allow metal tubes "such as camera tripods" to be brought on so I had to check in with my padless manfrotto tripod stand.

3. I packed my scope by putting a layer of clothes on the Oyster, then put my scope bag on then another layer of clothes on. Of course there were clothes all around the scope too to act as padding. With the Samsonite shell + clothes and the foam within the scope case itself, it more or less acts like a pelican.

4. The scope and tripod arrived alright, but when the tripod came back to Singapore, the Azimuth axis was stuck. I suspect it might have been dropped and the gears disengaged. Turned it REALLY hard and managed to slip the gears in again. Now it works like new again. 2 of the leg extension quick releases were also unlocked leaving the legs free to extend and retract .. :)

5. Lesson learnt, get protection for mount and tripod too! :) I'm still trying to find a suitcase long enough. I'm hoping a golf bag might do the trick. :)

I'm not sure how you'll apply this to your scope cos your scope is definitely much longer and your mount looks more substantial, but just thought I'd share some of my limited experience. :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA