saving money to buy eyepiece

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

acc wrote:Hi Gary
Think better not get a 4mm plossol or orthoscopic eyepiece as the eye-relief is extremely tight. The lens is real tiny as well, and can make observation a painful exercise for ur eye. U may end up looking like this :shock: :lol: I second the 2x barlow and a 9mm ep. Or u can consider one of the Siebert optic eyepieces at www.siebertoptics.com

cc
mmm....does Meade have a 4mm plossl? I thought the smallest size plossl is 6.4mm (which has very very short eye relief)...
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

mmm....does Meade have a 4mm plossl? I thought the smallest size plossl is 6.4mm (which has very very short eye relief)...
Must be an old model or another series I think. Their MA series or something. A long time ago, TeleVue and University Optics did have a few rather odd focal length eyepieces in their older eyepiece series too.
Samuel Ng
addy

Post by addy »

Airconvent wrote: mmm....does Meade have a 4mm plossl? I thought the smallest size plossl is 6.4mm (which has very very short eye relief)...
check this out http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com ... cview=0x23

Looks to me like a Meade 4mm Plossl.. the writings are quite clear.. Maybe they dont offer it anymore... but hold on, its still on offer at anacortes albeit only for ETX 60 & 70 http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.as ... d=2260&m=2... but I guess you could use it on any telescope.

clear skies
Addy 8)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

addy wrote:
Airconvent wrote: mmm....does Meade have a 4mm plossl? I thought the smallest size plossl is 6.4mm (which has very very short eye relief)...
check this out http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com ... cview=0x23

Looks to me like a Meade 4mm Plossl.. the writings are quite clear.. Maybe they dont offer it anymore... but hold on, its still on offer at anacortes albeit only for ETX 60 & 70 http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.as ... d=2260&m=2... but I guess you could use it on any telescope.

clear skies
Hi Addy,
hah hah...I was about to post the same link when I saw yours! yup..it does look like a Meade 4mm and seems its still available for sale.
Meade is selling it as an addon for their ETX60 and ETX70 range where a short focal length piece like the 4mm is required to get a magnification of .....gasp....x 87! :lol:

http://www.meade.com/catalog/etx/etx_accy.html

but i think cc is right about the short eye relief...look at the hole...you will have to squint your eye to look through it.....
hence you will appreciate the Radian!

rich :D
addy

Post by addy »

Hi rich

.. that's true... I sometimes wonder how ppl use it..

But a radian is too expensive.. :( .. I will rather go for a barlow and 9mm ep.. Maybe I haven't tried a radian yet.. need to borrow from someone.. any kind soul :mrgreen:
elton

Post by elton »

Yes, my 4mm radian is for sale because it is too close to the 5mm Tak LE. Thinking of the 3.5 XW, 3.8 XP, 2.8 or 3.6 LE to replace it or else will try to swap for a 3mm Radian on astromart. $350 for the radian.
kayheem

Re: saving money to buy eyepiece

Post by kayheem »

garygoh wrote:I am interested in buying a 4mm eyepiece for observing the moon, does anyone has any recommandation ? My budget is $100. :)
Hi Gary,

What scope do you want to use the eyepiece with? Looking at your budget, I would recommend a barlow and a 10mm instead of a 4mm.

Kay Heem
garygoh

saving money to buy eyepiece

Post by garygoh »

The scope is skywatcher 102,i think it is your scope formerly. :) Garygoh
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

garygoh wrote:The scope is skywatcher 102,i think it is your scope formerly. :) Garygoh
hi gary
alamak...Kay heem has forgotten...there goes your "aftersales support!" :lol:
but seriously, when the skies clear up, I hope you will be using it more often. your 102 is one of a kind....with inbuilt MV1 coating. I hope you managed to clear up all the fungus that appeared during SP Funominite..

rich
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

garygoh wrote:The scope is skywatcher 102,i think it is your scope formerly. :) Garygoh
Hi Gary,

I would still go for the advice of a 10mm with a good 2X barlow. That should allow you to hit 100X.

Do bear in mind that the scope is more suited to be a rich-field scope i.e. low power. It is not meant to be a high-power planetary/lunar performer.

At 100X, it should allow you to see a lot of DSOs already.

Kay Heem