saving money to buy eyepiece

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
garygoh

saving money to buy eyepiece

Post by garygoh »

I am interested in buying a 4mm eyepiece for observing the moon, does anyone has any recommandation ? My budget is $100. :)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: saving money to buy eyepiece

Post by Airconvent »

garygoh wrote:I am interested in buying a 4mm eyepiece for observing the moon, does anyone has any recommandation ? My budget is $100. :)
4mm means high magnification...so optics quality must be impt. Suggest you save for a radian instead! ...

ps...no prize for guessing I am a Radian fan.... :D
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
If you have a 2x barlow, get a 7.5mm Super Plossl or a Sky-Watcher 9mm or 6mm Wide Angle eyepiece. It will give you better eye relief and fit your buget.

Hope the information is useful.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
garygoh

Post by garygoh »

But is there anybody selling any 4mm radian type of eyepiece ???
Debash

Post by Debash »

Check out Astromart..http://www.astromart.com/classifieds.as ... ...selling for US$190+

Must have deep pockets to buy Televues.....certainly not for a beginner
Debash
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think Astro Scientific Centre in Omni Theatre got sell the TeleVue radian eyepiece. Also, please remember that the 4mm radian eyepiece use 7 elements, so the image may be not as bright as a Plossl or Orthoscopics eyepiece (no problem if you use it for viewing the moon) and prepare to pay more than S$300 to get it.

Anyway, I saw you got a Sky-Watcher 102, is it MCT or refractor ??

By the way, the Astro Scientific Centre don't open in monday. Hope the information is useful.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

weixing wrote:Hi,
I think Astro Scientific Centre in Omni Theatre got sell the TeleVue radian eyepiece. Also, please remember that the 4mm radian eyepiece use 7 elements, so the image may be not as bright as a Plossl or Orthoscopics eyepiece (no problem if you use it for viewing the moon) and prepare to pay more than S$300 to get it.

Anyway, I saw you got a Sky-Watcher 102, is it MCT or refractor ??

By the way, the Astro Scientific Centre don't open in monday. Hope the information is useful.
Be prepared to pay a significant premium if buying from astro scientific.
I think Elton is selling his...maybe you can check with him ?

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Be prepared to pay a significant premium if buying from astro scientific.
S$585.00 per Radian from A.S, the last time I saw.
Samuel Ng
addy

Re: saving money to buy eyepiece

Post by addy »

garygoh wrote:I am interested in buying a 4mm eyepiece for observing the moon, does anyone has any recommandation ? My budget is $100. :)
Check on Yahoo auctions... Someone is selling a Meade 4mm plossl for SGD60.. Check it out.. fits your budget perfectly.. But I second Weixing's advice about the eye relief.. Get a 2x barlow and a 7.5mm or 9mm eyepiece.. better eye relief.

clear skies..
Addy 8)
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi Gary
Think better not get a 4mm plossol or orthoscopic eyepiece as the eye-relief is extremely tight. The lens is real tiny as well, and can make observation a painful exercise for ur eye. U may end up looking like this :shock: :lol: I second the 2x barlow and a 9mm ep. Or u can consider one of the Siebert optic eyepieces at www.siebertoptics.com

cc