pentax XW eyepieces

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
dew

pentax XW eyepieces

Post by dew »

hi, im interested in getting this eyepiece but have not seen one and would like to try.. could the people with the eps from this series give their view on it? (worth the money? its >$600, eek!)
also, is there anyone out there who wants to order one as well? maybe we can pool our orders together and get a better price.. i think any order of more than 2 of these eyepieces might be able to get a better discount..

eu-wen
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

If you don't need the large eye-relief of the Pentax, why not consider the Televue Type 6 Naglers instead. the 7, 9, 13mm sells for US$280. I have the 7mm and love it for its sharpness and large FOV.
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

If you don't need the large eye-relief of the Pentax, why not consider the Televue Type 6 Naglers instead. the 7, 9, 13mm sells for US$280. I have the 7mm and love it for its sharpness and large FOV.
And if you don't need a waterproof body and the extra 5 degrees AFOV, I think you can still find some used XL's off Astromart at US$200+.

An example : http://www.astromart.com/viewad.asp?cid=233705
Samuel Ng
dew

Post by dew »

actually i was looking for something in the 20-24mm range.. i was thinking about a televue 24mm panoptic too.. what do you people think? pentax 20mm vs panoptic 24mm. the panoptic is cheaper but after shipping i'm not sure i save much.. and with a 2 times barlow the pentax gives just the right magnification for planetary viewing.. ahhh... HELP!
the problem is theres a time constraint.. pentax orders have to be in by this sunday i think.. oh noo....

eu-wen

p.s. would retailers in the US even ship a televue eyepiece to s'pore?
thanks..
dew

Post by dew »

actually i was looking for something in the 20-24mm range.. i was thinking about a televue 24mm panoptic too.. what do you people think? pentax 20mm vs panoptic 24mm. the panoptic is cheaper but after shipping i'm not sure i save much.. and with a 2 times barlow the pentax gives just the right magnification for planetary viewing.. ahhh... HELP!
the problem is theres a time constraint.. pentax orders have to be in by this sunday i think.. oh noo....

eu-wen

thanks..
Debash

Post by Debash »

thanks..
Yes, some would. I got mine from OPT recently. Check out
http://www.optcorp.com/cart/ProductList ... archFor=49

They got Televue, Pentax, Taks selling at decent prices.

Just not to kill our local vendors who (mostly) are doing a good job by keeping the prices reasonable & not astronomical, weigh your risk of damage in transit (insure it anyway), quality of product shipped (could be a costly business to ship it back & returns might not be accepted) with price, before ordering from overseas. Generally, they can be trusted though.
Last edited by Debash on Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debash
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Shipping an eyepiece like the 24mm Panoptic will cost about US$25 by insured air parcel. After adding 4% GST to the total, it will come to a little under S$600.

I think the guys at OPT do ship out their TV stuff to Singapore.
Samuel Ng
dew

Post by dew »

Shipping an eyepiece like the 24mm Panoptic will cost about US$25 by insured air parcel. After adding 4% GST to the total, it will come to a little under S$600.
oh no.. well there goes the savings benefit from the panoptics..sigh.. gonna have to think through this..
and thanks debash, for the info..

eu-wen
elton

Post by elton »

among XL, XW and panoptics 20-24mm, I think the XL 21mm is the best value for money. unfortunately sold out, need to buy second hand on astromart.