Perseid ob at East Coast tonight 12th Aug

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
chrisyeo

Perseid ob at East Coast tonight 12th Aug

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi,

I'll be joining some NJC astro club members at East Coast Park between car parks C4 and D1 at midnight tonight to view the Perseids. All are welcome to join me.

Pls note that due to the full moon and the weather, I wonder whether we'll be even be able to see one meteor! :P

Rgds,
Chris
rlow

Post by rlow »

Hi Chris,

I will try to join you guys, call you later to confirm.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

So how was it?
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

I went for the overnight ob with my NJ juniors over at ECP yesterday night. Chris caught 2 meteors, i caught 2 also, but different ones, so we can be sure at least 4 were visible the whole night. All right, not a very good result :lol: but considering yesterday the sky was full of high clouds ALL throughout the night, catching 4 is quite lucky already!

It would be better, as i said, to watch the leonids and geminids. And i hope the skies wouldn't be this bad again..
rlow

Post by rlow »

Too bad I had some transport issue last night and in the end I had to miss it. I hope the weather improve too, especially for next weekend!
siahheng

Post by siahheng »

I watched from my roof top from 0015 hours till 0145 hours and caught only 1... :(
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

C0MMAND wrote:Hmm wanted to go originally, but too tired and too late for public transport after I went for the Singapore Fireworks Festival thingy @ Esplanade... :?
I thought the SFF ended at 9.12pm ? (in fact, although they claimed 15 min, all of them lasted between 12-13 minutes at most....) that's late?
mmm...for astronomers, "late" means arriving at 5 am ! :lol:
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Catching 4 is a very good result. The sky was so bad yesterday and it was almost impossible to see meteors.
AstroDuck
ykchia

Post by ykchia »

Hi folks:

I didnt bother - since the sky was so bad to do any rewarding visual. Instead i trust my eletronic eye - watec 902H ccd and a wide angle 6mm lens.

http://nightevents.blogspot.com/

Even that the sky was really bad.

See the radiant plot - where the x11 Pers radiated from. Even though my set up was centred at my southern facing window. Az=181d49min and altitude of 54d11min. The Pers streamed across the sky..

rgds
ykchia
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Amazing! great website you have there yk!