The tale of two astronomers

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

My first bino cost more than my scopes (except for one)!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
rlow

Post by rlow »

My first bino cost more than my scopes (except for one)!
Andrew, you are an exceptional exception rather than the norm! :lol:
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Haa... what bino did you buy that cost more than a scope? Actually, binos (good ones) usually cost more than telescopes. The big binos (good ones like Fujinon and Nikon) are many times more expensive than telescopes and when mounted it cost...... ummmh. The 5 inch Fujinon binoculars can buy a car here already.
AstroDuck
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

I think he has this tiny 40mm bino: http://www.company7.com/zeiss/binoculars/1040gold.html

"... If you have to ask the price, then you can not afford it..."
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

No..no.. my bino is a Canon only.. cannot afford anything from Company7...
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
No..no.. my bino is a Canon only.. cannot afford anything from Company7...
Me too... I can't even afford your Canon bino... :( :(

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

my first bino is a plastic 8x30 and even that showed me a lot of star clusters and constellations. I think I found 30-40 M objects just with that. Really wonderful tool.

Cost me RM$20 which I bought from my friend. That's the most I could afford when I was 13. My next upgrade is a plastic 40x40mm refractor with 0.965" Ramdsden eyepieces. Also bought from my friend for RM$20 (the most I dare to ask from my parents). This scope showed me half of the M objects. Small, but can bring out in a minute. I have all the sketches of the objects seen through this scope in a log book hidden under my bookshelf because my parents didn't like me putting too much time in astro. Night time is for homework, that's what they say. Back those days, you don't argue with your parent. But that make it fun and exciting to find a way to sneak out just to have a peek or two and quickly record it in the log book. Really astro passion at its best.

So I thought if I bring my 11" back one of thesedays and let them see through their eyes, I think they will be proud to know that I didn't waste my time afterall....... :P
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Really want to see your 11" structure, how's the movement and finishing of the woodwork?
jennifer1611991

Post by jennifer1611991 »

I'm a complete newbie to this whole telescope buying thing.. In fact, i bought a $60 one and it was so bad except that it could make out the moon's craters:) I my dad wants to get me a proper one for my birthday so... Any ideas? =) Thanks very much!!!!
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

jennifer1611991 wrote:I'm a complete newbie to this whole telescope buying thing.. In fact, i bought a $60 one and it was so bad except that it could make out the moon's craters:) I my dad wants to get me a proper one for my birthday so... Any ideas? =) Thanks very much!!!!
Hi Jennifer,

There is a telescope buying FAQ in our faq section. Have you read it already? You can also find it here: http://web.singastro.org/wiki/index.php ... ngapore%3F

Cheers,
Chris