Next Star Gazing Session

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
astrobabe

Next Star Gazing Session

Post by astrobabe »

Hi everyone!

Is anyone keen to go star gazing in Johor? I know of an excellent place to see stars, bright and clear in the sky. Its near the 2nd link.

Perhaps someone can pick a good date when some stars may make guest appearances. Pardon the pun. ;)
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
bright and clear in the sky
Hmm... just wonder what does that mean??? Is "bright" mean the sky look bright or the sky look bright due to many stars?? Can see Milky Way??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
astrobabe

Post by astrobabe »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Hmm... just wonder what does that mean??? Is "bright" mean the sky look bright or the sky look bright due to many stars?? Can see Milky Way??

Have a nice day.
Haha...I'm not exactly an astro newbie in the sense that I do know a place must not be brightly lit as the illumination will brighten the sky and stars cannot be clearly seen. Which is why I wondered why u guys went to Tiong Bahru Park which is in the centre of the city. ;)

Trust me, this place is dark enough for me to see the constellations with my naked eye. I've identified quite a number of stars myself.
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Haha...I'm not exactly an astro newbie in the sense that I do know a place must not be brightly lit as the illumination will brighten the sky and stars cannot be clearly seen.
Noted... :P :P
Which is why I wondered why u guys went to Tiong Bahru Park which is in the centre of the city.
That's for the public, so we had to go to where the public are... :)
Trust me, this place is dark enough for me to see the constellations with my naked eye. I've identified quite a number of stars myself.
Can clearly see Milky Way??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
ian0138

Re: Next Star Gazing Session

Post by ian0138 »

astrobabe wrote:Hi everyone!

Is anyone keen to go star gazing in Johor? I know of an excellent place to see stars, bright and clear in the sky. Its near the 2nd link.
I will be keen, been exploring that area recently (GP, Orchid valley, Pontain... down to Simpang Renggam) GP area still does have a bit of light polution thou, maybe you can pick a date, few of us are always interested to recce....mind sharing roughly where is the location? 8-)

Cheers
IAN
rlow

Post by rlow »

Ian, if you are bringing a few people along, call me. :) i can bring my grab-and-go mewlon or c5.
astrobabe

Post by astrobabe »

It's in Gelang Patah.

Sorry, Weixing, I'm not sure if Milky Way can be seen cos I managed to identify only a few constellations, e.g. Orion, Hydra, Draco, Leo, Ursa Major, etc. Haven't got a telescope you see. And I'm still an astro wannabe, but not a totally dummy one. ;)

Sure, you guys set a date and we can make further arrangements.
...clouds, please go away, let me see the stars today...
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Sorry, Weixing, I'm not sure if Milky Way can be seen cos I managed to identify only a few constellations, e.g. Orion, Hydra, Draco, Leo, Ursa Major, etc. Haven't got a telescope you see.
You can't use a telescope to see Milky Way... With a telescope, you only can see "inside" Milky Way... hee hee hee :P :P :P The Milky Way look like a silvery river of stars "flowing" across the sky... did you see something like that??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
astrobabe

Post by astrobabe »

weixing wrote:Hi,
You can't use a telescope to see Milky Way... With a telescope, you only can see "inside" Milky Way... hee hee hee :P :P :P The Milky Way look like a silvery river of stars "flowing" across the sky... did you see something like that??

Have a nice day.
Oops, sorry for the blooper. Nope, have never seen the milky river. :P Would look out for it...probably can catch a shooting star one of these days.
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Oops, sorry for the blooper. Nope, have never seen the milky river.
Oh... :(

Anyway, it'll be difficult for those who doesn't drive (like me) to go there... hmm... How far is it from Singapore??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing