Bright object above moon.

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
fishy_whales

Bright object above moon.

Post by fishy_whales »

I was looking up in the sky tonight (30th august) and it's a crescent moon (a beautiful crescent moon) I see this bright object above it and have totally no idea if it's a star or a planet. Can anyone enlighten me? And how do you learn what is what in the Singapore night sky? I don't really know where to begin. Thanks much in advance. :)

[edit] I found the thread "Astronomical Objects that can be seen in Singapore" in the General Astronmy section and its not bad but I'm still not sure how to diffenrentiate what is what in the Singapore sky.
Last edited by fishy_whales on Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishy_whales

Post by fishy_whales »

I had a sneaking suspicion that was jupiter... can it be seen all year round?
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

heh heh... i got a call last nite from a friend in jb asking exact same question...
i can't see what he saw but yes i believe it was jupiter. saw them going in and out of clouds when i arrived home from work...
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Yes it is Jupiter. Currently it is the brightest 'star' now. Planets are usually the brightest 'star' in the night. Jupiter now is nearing the horizon, so these few evenings you see it, it would be at the western part of the sky. In a few more weeks, it will not be seen as it would have set before night arrives.
AstroDuck
boothee

Post by boothee »

Hi!

I've been in raining days for such a long time already. Yesterday, when I drive back home from my office, my wife show me that there is a nice crecent moon and one bright object above it.

Moon & Jupiter shining over the western sky between clouds! We stop beside a lake and enjoy the scene over the lake for a couple of minutes.

I really love that scene. It was beautiful! :shock:

I wish rainy season would pass very soon.:cry:

boothee
1150mm, 254mm, Newtonion Reflector on EQ5 Mount with dual axis DK3 drive, QHY5 Camera, Canon 300D + Kit Lens, Yangon, Myanmar.