mars pic

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
dew

mars pic

Post by dew »

hi everyone, here are two pics of mars taken in september that i just got round to processing, pics were taken with an ETX-125 on a nikon 4300 at magnification of 200X + 3X zoom from the camera. stacking and processing was done on registrax. 1st pic is a stack of 62 images, 2nd pic stack of 96.
i've got a question about image processing, hoping some of you astrophotography gurus out there can help me out. is there any specific technique used to process images? cause the way i did it was mostly through trial and error with those wavelet slider thingies on registrax. i dont really know what i'm doing at all.. could someone explain whats happening?
also, when i move some of the sliders out too far, some of the detail on the planet becomes easier to see but at the same time i get bright yellow flares at the edges of mars. is there a way to enhance the detail in some areas of the picture without disturbing the other areas so i can prevent the flaring?
thanks!

eu-wen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Euwen
I have no experience what-so-ever with registrax but just wanted to say to get such photos from an ETX is impressive....many people have said the ETX was not designed for astro-photo use but it still manages to stand on its own on this.....good effort!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
dew

Post by dew »

Hi Euwen
I have no experience what-so-ever with registrax but just wanted to say to get such photos from an ETX is impressive....many people have said the ETX was not designed for astro-photo use but it still manages to stand on its own on this.....good effort!
heh thanks for the encouragement rich.. just gotta work with what you got i guess.. but one day i want to try putting the ETX on a proper mount and do deepsky photog..
anyway, is there anyone who can answer my questions up in my previous post?

eu-wen
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
i've got a question about image processing, hoping some of you astrophotography gurus out there can help me out. is there any specific technique used to process images? cause the way i did it was mostly through trial and error with those wavelet slider thingies on registrax.
From my understandering, wavelet processing will break down the image into different scales. I think the silder that you adjust are the threshold that will be applied on these individual scale to reduce noise and enhance image. The final image is the produce by assemble the result from each scales.

This really is a time consuming and trial and error process, but the result is worth the time and effort... right?? :)

Those expert in wavelet processing may want to add-on or correct what I mention above...

Have a nice day and happy imaging... :D
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
universe24

Post by universe24 »

Hi Dew,
I not sure the Registax version you are using...but in generally, there got 6 wavelet. Each got slider from 0 to 100(if it is Registax 2). The first 3 wavelet is to sharpen the image and the other 3 is to add contrast on the image we process. If you adjust the last 3 wavelet more, then the quality of your image will drop.
This is what I know. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.
universe24

Post by universe24 »

BTW, your Mars images is good.
dew

Post by dew »

From my understandering, wavelet processing will break down the image into different scales. I think the silder that you adjust are the threshold that will be applied on these individual scale to reduce noise and enhance image. The final image is the produce by assemble the result from each scales.
I not sure the Registax version you are using...but in generally, there got 6 wavelet. Each got slider from 0 to 100(if it is Registax 2). The first 3 wavelet is to sharpen the image and the other 3 is to add contrast on the image we process. If you adjust the last 3 wavelet more, then the quality of your image will drop.
hmm i see.. thanks guys! that at least sort of lets me know what exactly i'm doing in registrax.. what about photoshop? anyonw here with experience in astro image processing in photoshop?
thanks!

eu-wen