Telescope or Bino

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Telescope or Bino

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Richard,
As a newbie, I would like to have some advices from you on the equipment. What would you suggest for a scope with mount and a bit of accessories that is less than $1000/- and is able to do astrophotography. Also, something a child can handle it for star gazing. I was thinking abt something 4" to 6" scope (mak type or =?) so that it will not be too long for my dry cabinet (DigiCabi AD100- int width 40cm). Will the Vixen VMC110L/Porta fit the needs or you will suggest others? I'm not ready that new to optic devices, I do handle cameras and microscopes for years except I'm new to telescope.
I was also looking for a binoc for star gazing. Most of the singastro guys would always suggest a 7x50 or 10x50 or smaller, but even at this lower mag and light, the binoc still "shake", may be I shake. I do have a 7-15x25, when it goes above 10x, it shake and it is difficult to watch the stars. So, I need one that has a tripod mount to eliminate the "shake". I know those big binocs come with tripod mount, can 10x50 be mounted on a tripod? If not, which bigger bincos will you suggest 15x70 or 20x80? In HK (Grand Eye), the Oberwerk 15x70 cost HKD499/- and I might be travelling there early next month and can get one.

Thank you and have a nice day
Hi Singastroians.
I received this query from an interested newbie.
As my expertise is not with astrophotgraphy, I thought I will put it up here
so astrophoto gurus can share their experiences here.

In answer to the question, for $1000, the range of available solutions is quite limited. You will need an equatorial mount (for series photography) or a dual forkmount goto scope (for light stuff like planets and the moon).
If bought brand new, I think it will cost at least slightly more than $1000 unless you put up a WTB post in the forum. Maybe someone has one you need collecting dust and want to let it go.
As for the cabinet, I have the exact same one and it just (barely) able to hold by Nexstar 8. I'm not sure about the scopes you mentioned as I do not own them. You can check with Robin from Mcgill.

actually 7x50 is quite a good solution if shaking is your problem. You need to get a better pair like the Minolta Classic or Activa series (sadly they are no longer in production), otherwise I guess your 7-10x will still make it. Many of these binos have a screw thread in front (normally covered) for an angle plate for installation to a tripod. I think some members here would be able to recommend them. Alternatively, with $$$ to burn, then go for the Canon stabilised binos. Also, I find the best way is the find a field, place a mat , lie down on a pillow and gaze from that position.

Oberwerk is a good brand and I think the best person who can give you advice is gavin (hope he is reading this!.)

And don't forget to join weixing at tampines during his sessions as he has a wealth of experience to share with regards to astrophotgraphy. he is quite high up in the learning curve now!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

for most binos, u can get a bino adapter to mount it onto a tripod. it should look like a piece of L shaped metal. you can also try making one yourself.

depending on age and brightness of obsite, i doubt many would be able to achieve a pupil size of 7mm to use a pair of 7x50 binos. 7mm is somehow the "ideal" size which can only be achieve in very dark places. even if ur pupil opens all the way up to 7mm or more, some people might have defects that might lead to other problems such as astigmatism. do check if u have such problems b4 jumping into those binos with large exit pupils.

be happy if ur pupil can even open up to 5mm. based on an exit pupil of 5mm, i think most people would only be able to maximise the use of a pair of 7x35binos, if they wan something of a lower power.

given the much lighter weight, and cheaper price of 7x35 and 8x42 binos, i do hope amatuers would seriously consider these instead of jumping straight into a pair of 7x50, which they might not have much chance of getting full use. 10x50 and 12x50 would be able to show more, but at the expense of weight and lesser fov. if one feel that they can hold these binos steady, they are also worth considering.

i own a pair of 12x50, and i can say that views thru a pair of bino is definately worth it. larger star clusters like m6/m7, double clusters, etc star to look very 3d. scanning ard is pretty easy, since everything is "correct". do try out some different bino and see which one u like. maybe go look for rlow and look thru his pair of 7x35 or his 10x42 bino.

~MooEy~
astrobabe

Post by astrobabe »

In other words, it's better for newbies to get a set of good binoculars before "graduating" to telescopes? Or do all of u own a set of binoculars each to compliment your telescope "wives"?
...clouds, please go away, let me see the stars today...
jermng

Post by jermng »

I think most or even all telescope users have at least one (or MANY more) binos to complement their scopes.
They're useful not only for sweeping the sky when you don't wanna bring your scope out or are out travelling.
They're also useful in roughly locating objects (or finding reference stars if object itself is not visible) before we point our scopes to that region. :) (That's what I do when I'm looking for something new)

I also have a cheap (actually came free when I bought a digicam) pair of 7x35s I keep in the car all the time for when something interesting come up. :)

They're also useful for bird-watching or anything else. You won't go wrong getting a pair (or more) of binos. :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

yeah gotta have both:)
Sometimes you just want to relax and enjoy the wide field full of beautiful gems, especially at a pretty dark sky location. Back in Table Mountain star party, aiming at the Milky way around Cygnus using my bino made me feel that i was floating toward the stars :).
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com
astrobabe

Post by astrobabe »

Ok. Thanks guys, I know I should focus on buying a telescope now. Great portability too...I'm not as strong as Weixing, haha!
...clouds, please go away, let me see the stars today...