Where to buy foam for telescope case?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
chrisyeo

Where to buy foam for telescope case?

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi.

I'm thinking of making my own carrying bag by buying foam and carving out a cavity for the scope.

Anyone knows where I can get something like that?

Thanks!
kayheem

Re: Where to buy foam for telescope case?

Post by kayheem »

chrisyeo wrote:Hi.

I'm thinking of making my own carrying bag by buying foam and carving out a cavity for the scope.

Anyone knows where I can get something like that?

Thanks!
OK, administrators, I think we need an astro FAQ here. I have a feeling this topic will crop up again.

Chris, there are different types of foam available. Some apparently 'out-gas' and may cause damage to the scope. You need to get the right type.

I found my source from the "Commercial and Industrial Guide" of the phone book under 'Packaging'. I think the name is "E-Chan Industries" and they are located at the industrial estate off Hougang Ave 2. You can double check with the Business listings.

This company supplies foam to several industries like mattress manufacturers. They also do foam for custom hard cases to store delicate stuff like cameras.

Hope this helps.

Kay Heem
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

I think its the first time this question is being asked in the forums... :) As for FAQs, we will need volunteers to compile them. Any volunteers? Members can help to reduce repeatitions of the same questions by doing a Search within the forums before posting.

cheers
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

I found mine at an art shop called 'art friend'....its around city hall area. Its not the best but it certainly can help. Anyone knows where to find the black coloured one?

(Art friend is selling the white verson :( ...by the way, they sell bubble wrap as well :P n they are selling plastic sheets for making dew shields :P The only problem is its abit expensive :| )
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

kcy wrote:I found mine at an art shop called 'art friend'....its around city hall area. Its not the best but it certainly can help. Anyone knows where to find the black coloured one?

(Art friend is selling the white verson :( ...by the way, they sell bubble wrap as well :P n they are selling plastic sheets for making dew shields :P The only problem is its abit expensive :| )
If the white version you are referring to is 'styrofoam', then it would not be very suitable as small pieces tend to flake off and get into your eyepiece barrels or your newt OTA if it is uncovered.

They do sell the light yellow ones, like the one used for washing dishes. These are a bit too soft. The shop I mentioned (E-Chan) sells a wide range from the soft to the firm, dark coloured ones.

Kay Heem
dew

Post by dew »

They do sell the light yellow ones, like the one used for washing dishes. These are a bit too soft. The shop I mentioned (E-Chan) sells a wide range from the soft to the firm, dark coloured ones.
hi, i'm quite interested in making my own case for my scope too.. would you mind telling me the rough price for the material? and which material would be best?

thanks..
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

dew wrote:
hi, i'm quite interested in making my own case for my scope too.. would you mind telling me the rough price for the material? and which material would be best?

thanks..
Hi,

They do have a range. You have to ask them about the ones they use in the custom case. I got the firm, dark grey type which costs about $30+ (if I remember correctly) for a 3ft X 6ft X 1in piece. It is this size as they pre-cut it for mattresses. If it is too large, ask if they can custom cut for you or you can share with other Singastro folk.

Kay Heem
dew

Post by dew »

Hi,

They do have a range. You have to ask them about the ones they use in the custom case. I got the firm, dark grey type which costs about $30+ (if I remember correctly) for a 3ft X 6ft X 1in piece. It is this size as they pre-cut it for mattresses. If it is too large, ask if they can custom cut for you or you can share with other Singastro folk.

Kay Heem
ahh, i see.. thanks.. in that case, anyone here interested in sharing the foam and cost?
thanks

eu-wen
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

yup yup, sure! I'm interested.

I've already PMed you.

chris
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

Oh its not styrofoam kayheem. It should be light yellow. Its abit tougher then dish washing kind. If anyone find it too expensive to buy the black one that might be a cheaper alternative. Just stack it if its too soft.
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers