telescope for a newbie

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
fiona_

telescope for a newbie

Post by fiona_ »

hello ppl... i'm new in this forum :) ... Have been into astronomy for like 3 years but never really made the effort to do some proper observing cuz' im stuck with a pair of lousy binoculars that does practically nothing. I know nothing much about proper equipment for optimum viewing so i really need u guys to guide me here.. Do bear in mind that i'm a newbie when it comes to using scopes so y'know , no complicated and expensive stuff :P thanks~!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: telescope for a newbie

Post by Airconvent »

fiona_ wrote:hello ppl... i'm new in this forum :) ... Have been into astronomy for like 3 years but never really made the effort to do some proper observing cuz' im stuck with a pair of lousy binoculars that does practically nothing. I know nothing much about proper equipment for optimum viewing so i really need u guys to guide me here.. Do bear in mind that i'm a newbie when it comes to using scopes so y'know , no complicated and expensive stuff :P thanks~!
Hi Fiona "Xie",
So while you are not acting as a genie, you are into astronomy?? :lol:
Anyway, you did not mentioned what "lousy bino" you have. As I have mentioned many times, you can get a very good pair of Minolta Classic bino for less than $100 (if you can still find it). To use a bino effectively, you need to be familiar with the constellations and star hop. So do pick up a copy of the Stars and Planets by Ian Ridpath (less than $30 paper pack)
to familiarise yourself. Remember th bino is wide view, so do not expect to see faint and small objects or the "mountains" of mars.
you can join the singastro members whenever they meet to check out the scopes or contact our vendors such as Samuel for advice.
if you are from poly or jc, check out their astronomy clubs....

cheers
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
fiona_

Post by fiona_ »

i wished i know what kinda bino i have but its really ancient and its lousy enough NOT to see the moon's surface even barely clearly.. LOL. I'm sick of binos already.. really thinkin of gettin a scope cuz im very interested in observing deep sky objects but seems to me that scopes are a complicated matter altogether. never used one before :o . Im not from any tertiary instituition yet , currently waitin for my Os results.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

fiona_ wrote:i wished i know what kinda bino i have but its really ancient and its lousy enough NOT to see the moon's surface even barely clearly.. LOL. I'm sick of binos already.. really thinkin of gettin a scope cuz im very interested in observing deep sky objects but seems to me that scopes are a complicated matter altogether. never used one before :o . Im not from any tertiary instituition yet , currently waitin for my Os results.
wah..waiting for "O" level results means no need to rush....you have many years ahead of you. just find the opporuntunit to join some of the astro gatherings. SP Astro used to organise overnight observations at SP Stadium but of late, due to poor skies, they have been quite quiet. watch out for them. alternatively, PM your mobile number to Chee Chien so that he can add you to his CSN "Clear Sky Network". whenever there is a session, he will sms all those in the CSN list.
have fun!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
fiona_

Post by fiona_ »

really ? but i really have totally no experiencing in star-gazing so it'll be like kinda embarrassin should i really go.... LOL !
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

fiona_ wrote:really ? but i really have totally no experiencing in star-gazing so it'll be like kinda embarrassin should i really go.... LOL !
Hi Fiona,

Since you mention that you have totally no experience in star-gazing, the more you should join in the viewing sessions and put off buying a scope until you know what you want.

There was a 'sticky' message regarding the different scope types at:

http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=32

Take a look before going to a viewing session. This will help you understand the different types of scopes and their strengths and weaknesses.

Kay Heem
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I will be having an observation session near Tampines Stadium if weather is good tonight, you can join me if you are free. PM me if you are interested.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

If you live in the west area or anywhere near SP, then you might want to join us (SP Astronomers) during our observation day, which usually is on the Fridays. But the skies doesn't look very friendly these days, so we usually have some last minute observation call-ups.

You might want to leave your number so that we can call you up for observations. :D

Regards,
Sam
fiona_

Post by fiona_ »

hi there , thanks to all to the replies ! Just wonderin.. what do u all usually do when u guys meet up for observations ?
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

hi there , thanks to all to the replies ! Just wonderin.. what do u all usually do when u guys meet up for observations ?
Let's see, if I can remember ('coz our last informal session was like "ages" ago... :( because of the rainy season that started a bit earlier than expected this year) :

- "off-topic" talk about work (if applicable)

- "off-topic" talk about school (if applicable)

- "off-topic" talk about family (if applicable)

- "off-topic" talk about other non-astro past times / interests

- talk about new developments in the global astro scene

- talk about new astro products

- talk about recent personal observing experience

- talk about recent astro trips overseas (if any)

- share pictures taken during recent astro trips overseas (if any)

- share astro pictures taken recently (if any)

- share observing tricks and tips

- share astro knowledge gained recently from reading books/magazines/internet articles

- share basic astro knowledge with any new members that are present especially for the first time

- ooh and aah at any new accessories/scopes present

- borrow/exchange eyepieces and other accessories to try out on own scope

- and of course...moving around the whole area to observe through all the telescopes present during the session

I think the list will go on and on... but to summarize, our observing sessions are always fun and for any new members who are present, you will definately learn something new each time you join us...guaranteed ! :lol:
Samuel Ng