hooking up astro software to scope

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
elton

hooking up astro software to scope

Post by elton »

Managed to figure out the various cables and hooked up my laptop to the teleport's encoders last night. I must say that steering the scope on the screen displaying a star map is a most enjoyable way to ob. Planetarium software used was Cartes du Ciel, a very good freeware comparable to the best out there costing over US$100. Previously when using the NGC-Max, I would draw up an observation list, key them in one at a time into the Max and then steer the scope to the object. Now I can just steer the crosshairs across the star map and center it on anything interesting, then look through the scope to see it for real. Part 2 will be to move to PDA and then set up a bluetooth connection to the encoders. Will probably be observing tonight if the weather holds and all are welcome to join in.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Now I can just steer the crosshairs across the star map and center it on anything interesting, then look through the scope to see it for real. Part 2 will be to move to PDA and then set up a bluetooth connection to the encoders.
Hi Elton!
The next step would be to motorise your teleport, and together with the PDA you will have a dobsonian version of Vixen's Sphinx mount!! :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: hooking up astro software to scope

Post by Airconvent »

elton wrote:Managed to figure out the various cables and hooked up my laptop to the teleport's encoders last night. I must say that steering the scope on the screen displaying a star map is a most enjoyable way to ob. Planetarium software used was Cartes du Ciel, a very good freeware comparable to the best out there costing over US$100. Previously when using the NGC-Max, I would draw up an observation list, key them in one at a time into the Max and then steer the scope to the object. Now I can just steer the crosshairs across the star map and center it on anything interesting, then look through the scope to see it for real. Part 2 will be to move to PDA and then set up a bluetooth connection to the encoders. Will probably be observing tonight if the weather holds and all are welcome to join in.
Hi Elton,
Looks like this could be a potential for an article on how to connect your pc to your scope. Since the sky has been cloudy lately, maybe can set out to put it in writing. I'm sure CC would be most happy to make it a "sticky"?

As to the PDA connection, I understand you are with the Dark Side .....hopefully you will see the light and bring balance to the universe...I'm trying to see if its possible to control the scope from my pocket pc...heh heh..eventually taking photos using a webcam connected to the pocket pc instead of a laptop...

CC : How about a "Resources" folder consisting of nothing but sticky posts consisting of useful tips, info such as this?
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
elton

Post by elton »

Ok, here are the details for hooking up a PC to encoders. Goto scopes like the ETX already have a RS232 interface for PCs and for those a simple serial cable will do the trick. Normally the raw encoder outputs are connected into DSCs or Goto computers which do all the work of determining position and tracking etc. What I did was to purchase an adaptor box from TL systems which translated the encoder signals to an RS-232 output. Since the adaptor box was a DCE i use a straight serial cable to connect to the DTE PC. A gender changer adaptor was required in the process. A problem encountered was that it was not clear that the adaptor box was a DCE so a straight cable instead of a null modem was required. There is a site containing details on how to build the RS232 adaptor at : http://home.earthlink.net/~digicircles/dsc.html
The most common encoders are made by US-digital and can be bought from US scope dealers. My scope came mounted. Other good equatorial scopes will probably have their own encoder packages. Dobs can be fitted with one fairly easily. Alt-az mounts can take them too but not the Manfrotto sorts, think Televue Gibraltar, Giro etc. Once connected to the PC, check that the COM port is set up correctly (usually 8bits, no parity, 1 stop, no flow control). There are a number of free planetarium software but I have to recommend Cartes du Ciel : http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/index.php It is a full functioned piece which is free and will satify the needs of just about all amateurs. Some of the better planetarium software will have scope control modules which can take in encoder signals via the RS-232 com port. If your scope is GOTO, some like Cartes du Ciel can even direct the scope to track to a desired object.
If you wanna check this out can join me at my ob sessions.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

elton wrote:Ok, here are the details for hooking up a PC to encoders. Goto scopes like the ETX already have a RS232 interface for PCs and for those a simple serial cable will do the trick. Normally the raw encoder outputs are connected into DSCs or Goto computers which do all the work of determining position and tracking etc. What I did was to purchase an adaptor box from TL systems which translated the encoder signals to an RS-232 output. Since the adaptor box was a DCE i use a straight serial cable to connect to the DTE PC. A gender changer adaptor was required in the process. A problem encountered was that it was not clear that the adaptor box was a DCE so a straight cable instead of a null modem was required. There is a site containing details on how to build the RS232 adaptor at : http://home.earthlink.net/~digicircles/dsc.html
The most common encoders are made by US-digital and can be bought from US scope dealers. My scope came mounted. Other good equatorial scopes will probably have their own encoder packages. Dobs can be fitted with one fairly easily. Alt-az mounts can take them too but not the Manfrotto sorts, think Televue Gibraltar, Giro etc. Once connected to the PC, check that the COM port is set up correctly (usually 8bits, no parity, 1 stop, no flow control). There are a number of free planetarium software but I have to recommend Cartes du Ciel : http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/index.php It is a full functioned piece which is free and will satify the needs of just about all amateurs. Some of the better planetarium software will have scope control modules which can take in encoder signals via the RS-232 com port. If your scope is GOTO, some like Cartes du Ciel can even direct the scope to track to a desired object.
If you wanna check this out can join me at my ob sessions.
OK, I am a non-electronics person, but I think this is another article for an astro FAQ page. What do the moderators and admin think? Can we have an astro FAQ page?

Kay Heem
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

OK, I am a non-electronics person, but I think this is another article for an astro FAQ page. What do the moderators and admin think? Can we have an astro FAQ page?
Think that's a good idea now that we have a number of FAQ articles posted. Will create the FAQ page soon.

cheers
cc