Astrobargains Store

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
simranjits

Post by simranjits »

Airconvent wrote:If you're the impatient type like me, than your only choice are goto scopes.
Much shorter learning curve. You only need to learn some important constellations and stars for alignment, learn how to use the controller and walla, you are at the selected object!
BTW, the Astrobargain guy (actually a trio) are like you and me. This is not their core business. He is doing it out of interest and as service to fellow singastroians (of course the profit helps too).
So sometimes when he is out of the country, he may take longer to reply.

Yup i'm kinda looking for goto scopes , i try not to get the manual ones.
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

simranjits wrote:
chrisyeo wrote:
I'm the other kind of astronomer , the one that wants to dive into it.
That's a no no in my books; if you dive in you'll get burnt very easily...
U may get burnt easily , but doesn't mean u'll get burnt. I always do this for all my hobbies.
Well, pro diver... here comes a good deal that will not burn a f1.0 hole in your pocket... dive right into the bargain...
http://singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=4196

At 127mm aperture for SGD500, I'd consider this far better in value-for-money than the 9x-27x 25mm Tasco Futura LE Binoculars for SGD450 offer. In fact, this Mak was my original plan for a 1st scope (before Robin offered me the 80mm APO refractor package).
rlow

Post by rlow »

I concur with the comments from our regular non-divers: Weixing, Chris, and others. My advice is also NOT to 'dive', otherwise you may burn out fast like a shooting star! This had happened to 'divers' many times here and elsewhere. Better to learn more from reading books and online forums etc, AND look through other's scopes to help you decide which scope satisfy your liking and budget, before you buy. Buying a GOTO scope is not a cure-all for newbies, and a good GOTO may not necessarily fit your budget. You still need to spend some time to familiarise yourself with the nightsky, major stars and constellation patterns.
Richard Low
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

most divers have unlimited budget.
he's a diver with a budget, so i'm not too worry.
mandaragit

Post by mandaragit »

hi just my two cents... i emailed Joo Beng a couple of weeks ago about the Starblast and it seems he doesnt have access to the internet cause his reply took about a week... so just wait and he will reply to you also

thanks and enjoy your day!
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

Is Joo Beng on ICT, thus explaining why he has no access to Internet???
Wee Nghee the Pooh
simranjits

Post by simranjits »

i got a reply just from him.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

3 days is not too long, mandaragit got his in a week. :) :)
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Just a thought - if you are the impatient kind, astronomy may be quite frustrating for you. Simply waiting for a clear night may *kill* you! And setting up and tearing down the equipment multiple times in a night may also tax your patience, especially if you have a GOTO mount, where you have to do a star-alignment each time. Not to forget that if you have little knowledge of the night sky, the learning curve can be quite steep. Also, if you expect to see the shape of an artificial satellite (other than ISS), then you are probably going to be disappointed.

Not trying to pour cold water on your enthusiasm, but just trying to manage your expectations.

Cheers!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
simranjits

Post by simranjits »

Tachyon wrote:Just a thought - if you are the impatient kind, astronomy may be quite frustrating for you. Simply waiting for a clear night may *kill* you! And setting up and tearing down the equipment multiple times in a night may also tax your patience, especially if you have a GOTO mount, where you have to do a star-alignment each time. Not to forget that if you have little knowledge of the night sky, the learning curve can be quite steep. Also, if you expect to see the shape of an artificial satellite (other than ISS), then you are probably going to be disappointed.

Not trying to pour cold water on your enthusiasm, but just trying to manage your expectations.

Cheers!
Yup understand that , i've been wanting to get a proper telescope for ages , i had a $100-150 Toys-r-us telescope which got me started like when i was 10