Red star passes across Orion

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
kamiru

Red star passes across Orion

Post by kamiru »

Hi, while i am observing orion thru my bino at 8pm tonight, a small red star crosses the constellation. It was moving like 2 degrees per second until it move behind a flat which is in front of my view. May i know what actually is it?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Hmm... Sound like a plane to me.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
simranjits

Post by simranjits »

a plane should blink shouldn't it?
kamiru

Post by kamiru »

definitely not a plane. Its a red star, mag similar to betelguese. Size smaller a bit. A plane will flash lights.
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
At 8pm, Orion will be around 45 degree above eastern horizon, so you are looking east. Where were you when you see it?? You saw it through bino??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kamiru

Post by kamiru »

weixing wrote:Hi,
At 8pm, Orion will be around 45 degree above eastern horizon, so you are looking east. Where were you when you see it?? You saw it through bino??

Have a nice day.
Hi wexing,

i was in my flat facing SE. I was using 10X50 bino. The star was moving towards procyon. Should be travelling east.
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I still think that it is an aircraft especially it appear in the east direction where the airports are.

Althought most aircraft light blinks, I had seen quite a number of aircraft at night that have non-blinking red lights.

Anyway, as you observe more, you'll find "strange" light appear in the sky that actually can be explained. Below are one of my example:
"3 dots of orange light (may be at mag 3) moving across the late night sky very fast. The relative position of the lights keep changing as it fly across the night sky."

Just wonder can anyone guess what is it??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

I used to think that planes are distinctly blinking as well but I have since learnt that plane forward landing lights don't blink, and those are the lights that we often see as they approach.

As the distance is quite far, those landing lights sometimes look orange or red depending on the cloud and haze.

So I think it was a plane you saw..

Rgds,Chris
kamiru

Post by kamiru »

k, i will observe more to confirm whether it is plane. Cause i am still new. :wink:
kamiru

Post by kamiru »

weixing wrote:Hi,
I still think that it is an aircraft especially it appear in the east direction where the airports are.

Althought most aircraft light blinks, I had seen quite a number of aircraft at night that have non-blinking red lights.

Anyway, as you observe more, you'll find "strange" light appear in the sky that actually can be explained. Below are one of my example:
"3 dots of orange light (may be at mag 3) moving across the late night sky very fast. The relative position of the lights keep changing as it fly across the night sky."

Just wonder can anyone guess what is it??

Have a nice day.
BTW, what is the flying objects? :?