Red star passes across Orion

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
BTW, what is the flying objects?
It was a bird and yes, bird do come out at night and flying around... even at mid-night. I realised that because it appear again later that night, but this time flying towards me and lower it altitude as it fly near me. As it fly over me, I saw that the "3 orange dots" were actually the two wing tip and it's head... reflecting the light from our road lighting... the same reason why we saw orange cloud at night. And I thought they are UFO... ha ha ha :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Haaa. If they were UFOs, Weixing would have banged 3!

Anyway, last night I saw a satellite drift across the field of my eyepiece at 90x. It was very fast about slightly more than a sec to cross 1 degree true field. I could not see any details on it with my 12.5 inch, hence probably the only satellite that has observable details is the ISS. That object is not that strange red colour thing as observed by others. :D
AstroDuck
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

If it was a UFO, I would flag it down, and begged them to bring me up beyond the atmosphere to view Comet McNaught! Or if they are really friendly, I may push my luck and make them take me nearer to the comet. *dream*
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Its prob. a plane. Navigation lights on board a plane same as those of a sea going ships do not blink. Red light represents the port/left side, whilst starboard/right is green. The purpose of colour navigation lights help to identify the direction a craft is moving. From Kamiru's observation, the plane is prob flying in the general direction from right to left.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

cataclysm wrote:Its prob. a plane. Navigation lights on board a plane same as those of a sea going ships do not blink. Red light represents the port/left side, whilst starboard/right is green. The purpose of colour navigation lights help to identify the direction a craft is moving. From Kamiru's observation, the plane is prob flying in the general direction from right to left.
Thanks for the useful info! Too bad our resident RASF pilot is overseas training!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

Tachyon wrote:If it was a UFO, I would flag it down, and begged them to bring me up beyond the atmosphere to view Comet McNaught! Or if they are really friendly, I may push my luck and make them take me nearer to the comet. *dream*
dont forget to give me a ride too! :)