THE DRAKE EQUATION

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
geraldine

THE DRAKE EQUATION

Post by geraldine »

jus wondering whther this equation can be used 2 estimate the number of civilisation outside our galaxy, the milky way? :roll: and whther can it roughly gauge whther dere can be other planetary system?

jus a brief intro on the drake equation which fascinated me.. :)

-proposed by Prof Frank Drake in 1961 at SETI conference
-estimation of the number of civilisation in the milky way
- no of civilisation = rate at galaxy produce stars * fraction of stars wif planetary system * avg no of planets per star * fraction of planets suitable for life * fraction of (fraction of planets suitable for life) planets on which life actuali develops * fraction of ( the previous ) on which intelligent civilisation arise * fraction of ( the previous) on which technological civilisation arise * lifetime of a civilisation in years
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

drake's equation can't predict at the moment what's the probablity of intelligent life out there cos the value for many of the factors involved are not confirmed yet.. but it does give scientists a guideline on how to go about calculating it. however i think it'll still be a very tough job and will still involve a lot of speculation cos there are definitely other factors other than those in the equation..
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Hi,
Actually nevermind anymore equations.. i think it be better if we just go off and find a civilisation ourselves.. that proves everything, does it? :P It's all better than formulating tons of equations and later on finding some new information that denies all that was done...
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

anyway i dun think SETI is making use of drake's equation to do their stuff, right? they're using radio astronomy and other more scientific less airy-fairy stuff to do their research :P
haha how u planning to "go off and find a civilisation" ah zong? fly there..? ok lah try mars first lah.. prob no intelligent life but see if got any life at all.. or can read Contact by Carl Sagan, talks about super intelligent life in the centre of the universe :P interesting.
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Nope i don't expect us to find a proper civilisation anytime soon, but i expect with the growth of technology we might find loopholes in Einstein, and finally get to fly outta the galaxy! Before that, we shall only get to see more of such in fantasies :lol:

The drake equation is not yet complete, and i doubt it ever will be, cos there is just too many factors to put into consideration. So i'd rather not touch anything about it :P
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

I posted a theory sometime back.

The assumptions are:
-There is only one intelligent lifeform in our universe, ie us.
-Life around any star is infinitely difficult to form.
-There is an infinite number of star systems in the universe.

The results are:
-Probability of life happening in our universe is 0.64.
-Probability we are in a universe where there are 2 or more lifeforms is 0.264.
-These numbers are all lower bounds.

If we consider only the stars around our solar system out to a distance of 20 light years, there are 108 stars, some of them in multiple systems, ie binarys, trinaries, etc. Of these, 5 are G-type stars, the most similar to our sun. Alpha Centauri A, one of the G-types, is in a trinary system. Because such systems are complex, we discount them. Effectively, there are 4 G-type stars within 20 light years of us.

Based on the mathematics at the bottom of this post, if we want a 0.1 chance of finding life within the 108 stars closest to us, there must be 1 lifeform per 1025 star systems. If we loosely assume that all G-type stars have life, we see that the odds are indeed very good within our 20 light year radius (0.037 vs 0.000976 indicated by mathematics).

For an ealier proof of the mathematics, please see:
http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=288

A slightly revised version can be found at:
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php ... genumber=2

Some later developments not included in the text linked above:

p(another intelligent lifeform in the universe) = [(x-1)/x]^(x-1)

where x represents the number of star systems.

As we let x tend to infinity, the probability tends to a value of 0.64.
geraldine

Post by geraldine »

but wad bout finding civilisation OUTSIDE our solar system..space is so big..isit poss? hmm..i m jus very very curious bout dis..jus h0pe 2 get sm forms of advices.. ^_^
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Yeah sure. Depends on your equations. If you are working with planetary-sized chunks then you can calculate the probable number of civilizations within a solar system. If you are working with star systems then you can calculate on the solar-system level.

Post by Guest »

are we comparing intelligent life to human life?

Hope not, that would mean there is NO intelligent life at all in the universe were we to be alone...

I mean, read CNN or something, the way we life in this world and treat each other, treat our planet......that can hardly be defined as "intelligent" now can it?

Example, I have an IQ of 137 and have been, unsuccesfully, trying to catch this bl**dy gekko roaming around my house for 3 days now....need I say more?

:D
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
That gecko is from the pest control department of mother nature... :P
His job is to hunt down all mosquito and fly in your house free of charge... :D

Sorry off topic and have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: