A newbie looking for recommendation

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Astrolover

A newbie looking for recommendation

Post by Astrolover »

Hello everyone!

I have been intrigued by the Universe since my childhood. It always feels like a riddle that is yet to be solved and that excites an ever curious mind of mine. I have been keenly exploring secondary sources on astronomy so far. But I am now ready to take the next step to explore the skies a bit more intimately!

I am planning to buy Celestron Nexstar 5SE soon. I am looking for views from anyone who has used it or has good knowledge about it. Is this a good telescope for a beginner? Is there anything that I need to bear in mind? Thank you so much for reading my post and sharing your thoughts as well.
Warm regards,

A curious mind!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: A newbie looking for recommendation

Post by Airconvent »

Welcome astrolover. For telescopes, there are 2 opposing forces. Big scope can see more but harder to deploy. Small scopes are easy to take out but the views may not be pleasing. I feel the optimal size for Singapore skies is 8" but a 5 or 6" is a good aperture to start with. If you can afford and if the size is still ok for you to bring around, consider upgrading to the 6SE instead. If not, the 5SE will still be a decent scope for you to start with. :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Astrolover

Post by Astrolover »

@Airconvent, thank you so much. This is helpful.:) Yes, the size (for space at home reasons) and the convenience factor is key. I am looking at 5SE though I feel it does take up space with the tripod. I was told I can use it without the tripod at home.
Warm regards,

A curious mind!
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

You need to keep the telescope and eyepieces in airtight dry storage too , that will take up more space and $ budget.
Having the telescope mounted on the tripod as in display piece at home , only works for other country with dry climate , low humidity in air.

5se and 6se is different at the mount too , the bigger one have higher carrying capacity which is very helpful if you change/sell scope and reuse back the mount+tripod.
rlow

Post by rlow »

Hi Astrolover

I had a C5 OTA before, and also helped a friend with Nexstar 5SE. Is this a good telescope for a beginner? Yes I think so. If you are comfortable to find planets and bright deep-sky objects by yourself, you can also consider to get just a C5 OTA only, on a Manfrotto 410 gearhead mount and a standard-sized camera tripod, this then become a compact grab-and-go setup. Unless you keep in air-con room, otherwise keep in a dry box or dry cabinet is a good practice to avoid fungus on mirror & lens.
Richard Low
StewartYoung
Favourite scope: Celestron AstroMaster 130 EQ

Post by StewartYoung »

I want to share my experience in this thread. Maybe it will be useful for newbies like me ;) Who are seriously thinking about buying equipment.
I have a telescope Celestron AstroMaster 130 EQ. I chose this model for a long time and was very satisfied.
I will explain why.
1. Reasonable price
2. Great build quality
3. Great image quality
The optics are powerful, all the mechanical parts are reliable and this telescope is very easy to use.
Special filters for the moon and stars are also included. At maximum settings, you can get a magnification of 307 times - in this case you can consider craters, tracks, the famous Martian channels, etc.
The only nuance - at first I had trouble catching a celestial body in the lens... But a little practice and everything is great!
I hope my notes will be useful for future space connoisseurs )
Thanks