Polar Alignment in Singapore

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
PaulNg

Polar Alignment in Singapore

Post by PaulNg »

Hello everyone.

I may have a chance to have a short trip around Singapore and may be able to do some astrophotography. The mount I am using is EM11... just wondering how can you guys polar align at 1 degree latitude using a german equatorial mount? Coz normal German mounts can't go below 20 degrees...

Thanks for you input in advance.

Paul
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I may have a chance to have a short trip around Singapore and may be able to do some astrophotography. The mount I am using is EM11... just wondering how can you guys polar align at 1 degree latitude using a german equatorial mount?
Since we can't see polaris here, we use drift star alignment for Astrophotography and compass alignment for visual use.
Coz normal German mounts can't go below 20 degrees...
There are quite a number of EQ mount that can support 0 degree latitude, such as Vixen GP/GPD, Sphinx, Losmandy GM8, Takahashi EM-200 and etc. Also, some of us here make an adapter for mount that can't go near 0 degree latitude.

Anyway, welcome to SingAstro!!! :D :D :D

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
PaulNg

Post by PaulNg »

Would it be possible if I can find a picture of such adapter?
jermng

Post by jermng »

http://astro.christone.net/saturn/c11a.jpg

Something like that .... :) Notice how the whole mount is tilted down.
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The idea is to offset the mount( as shown in jermng provided link), so that at 20 degree latitude (for EM-11), it is actually 0 degree latitude. As a result, you need to set 21 degree latitude on EM-11 to get an actual 1 degree latitude. To achieve this, you can either make an adapter as mention above for long term solution or offset it by making one of the tripod leg longer/shorter for short term solution.

By the way, how long are you going to stay?? If not long, I think the adapter method may be too expensive. Also, make sure you make a tall adapter or shift your counter-weight bar to between the two tripod leg (I think EM-11 are able to do that) if you going to use the adapter method or your counter-weight bar will hit the tripod at such low latitude.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
PaulNg

Post by PaulNg »

Thanks for your input.

Wouldn't it be easier for the mount to topple over if we offset the tripod legs like that?
universe24

Post by universe24 »

There is a risk for the mount to topple over if offset the tripod leg....what you can do is to test your mount at home...see either way mentioned here is more suitable for your mount can go down to nearly 0 degree or not.
Nikolai De Silva

Re: Polar Alignment in Singapore

Post by Nikolai De Silva »

Hi, I'm Nikolai De Silva from Sri Lanka and a beginner to this forum. I have a Sky-watcher P 130/650 Starquest and have a problem with Polar Aligning it.

As it is said, the Telescope should be aligned with Polaris. The problem is, Polaris is only 7° above the horizon here! This can't be aligned. When I do so, the counterweight knocks the tripod. What should I do for this?

Hoping for help!

Thank you.

Nikolai