Another Newbie On board

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Starmigo

Another Newbie On board

Post by Starmigo »

Hi Everyone,

I like to have this hobby since I was little but now I've finally found your club! Don't know any friend who has a telescope nor do I have any knowlegde of astronomy. May I join you guys for an outing so I can have some advise on what scope to get? Thanks.
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Welcome aboard Starmigo,

We're not really an official club actually, just an informal but very active group of amateur astronomers. You are most welcome to join our activities. Notification of observing sessions will usually be posted in advance under the Observing Sessions section.

Where do you live ? I set up my scope to observe quite often at Toa Payoh, so if you happen to live around the area, I can add you to my Toa Payoh notification list if there is any activity here. There are also other active members who will set up their scopes in their own area whenever we have good skies.
Samuel Ng
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
You can join my observation session if you live near Tampines.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Starmigo

Post by Starmigo »

Thanks a lot guys.

I stay in Punggol. Can go Toa Payoh and Tampines too as long as MRT can reach. :D
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Newbie

Post by Airconvent »

Starmigo wrote:Thanks a lot guys.

I stay in Punggol. Can go Toa Payoh and Tampines too as long as MRT can reach. :D
you can join me too if there's a bus from Punggol to Yio Chu Kang Road...
however, I always observe from 11pm-12am onwards which means transport home is a problem...do you cycle? else sam is a good bet. he always setting up his scope at toa payoh central attracting alot of aunties and curious passerbys!

btw, welcome to Singastro, Starmigo....

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Starmigo

Post by Starmigo »

Thanks Rich,

I cycle but not at midnight though. May I know why you watch night sky at these hours? Is it the later the hour, the better the look of the planet or is it no uncles/ aunties come out to ask you what you are looking at like in Toa Payoh? Heehee...
Starmigo

Post by Starmigo »

Sam & Weixing,

Do you mind letting me know when is your next observation session? How to contact you both?
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Hey~ Anyone living near Queensway shopping centre or tiong bahru?? Seems like im the odd one out, cant find any observing partner...

Charlie
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Tomorrow or/and saturday night if weather is clear... PM me if interested.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Grievous wrote:Hey~ Anyone living near Queensway shopping centre or tiong bahru?? Seems like im the odd one out, cant find any observing partner...

Charlie
Hi Charlie
That's a very bright area. If you don't drive, its good to invest in a good strudy mountain bike like CC. He cycles all the way from his house in river valley to SP for his observations! Pack all your stuff into those big holiday camping back pack and instantly, you have a flexibility of 2-3km radius from your house to find a good spot. In your case, you can always cycle to that large field next to Singapore Poly Guild...

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets