Location of Milky Way

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
toolkit

Location of Milky Way

Post by toolkit »

Hello,

Just need some "guideposts" on the location of
the Milky way. It is between which constellations?
I will be going to Bintan in the next few days!

Thanks!
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

is it possible to see it in bintan in the first place?
toolkit

Post by toolkit »

I did a search on the posts and found one
that said viewing is possible.
river

Post by river »

http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

print it for your trip, the light blue area on the maps is the milkyWay. Clear skies....
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Just need some "guideposts" on the location of
the Milky way. It is between which constellations?
I will be going to Bintan in the next few days!
If you able to see the Milky Way, you'll know where is it. :D It's look like a "river of stars" spanning from east to west. If you only able to see part of it, look for a big concentration of stars on the sky.
is it possible to see it in bintan in the first place?
I think it is possible if you are not near the big town there. I've seen very nice Milky Way in Batam, so I think you should be able to see it in Bintan.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

wow! I'm going to try that soon.. just get a boat ride there don't book hotel ;p
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Yes it is possible to see the Milky Way from there. I have been to the south of Bintan and the sky is as good as Mersing. Look for a 'cloud' like thing that spans across the horizon. Anyway, that 'cloud' is actually MANY MANY stars if you look with a binoculars. Our eyes are just not able to resolve the stars that is why it looks like a cloud of brightness.

Some star charts will tell the Milky Way position with respect to the stars.

You can check out skymaps.com. You can print free star charts for April. It shows the Milky Way on the star chart and positions of bright DSOs that can be seen with binos and small telescopes.
AstroDuck
Khadee

Post by Khadee »

Hi,
All this time I thought the solar system was part of the milky way? if that is true then how can we see the milky way from the earth?
I am new to astronomy...hope you'll enlighten me.
Thanks,
Khadee
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
All this time I thought the solar system was part of the milky way?
Yes... our solar system is in the Milky Way... Milky Way is the name of our galaxy.
if that is true then how can we see the milky way from the earth?
Yes. Since we are in one of the Milky Way spiral arm, we'll see the cross section view of the Milky Way.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Yes, the solar system is part of the Milky Way galaxy. When we look at other spiral galaxies such as the Andromeda galaxy, we see a beautiful spiral shape. Now imagine that you are inside one of the spiral arms of such a galaxy. What you will see is a side profile of the galaxy from inside the galaxy. That is exactly what we see of our Milky Way galaxy, from our vantage point in one of its spiral arms - a line of stars that cuts across the whole sky made out of the stars of the galaxy, with a central bulge when looking towards the center of the galaxy.