Good Astronomy Book For Newbie

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Starmigo

Good Astronomy Book For Newbie

Post by Starmigo »

Hey guys,

Any good and easy to understand books for newbie, so that I can prepare myself before I join in for obersation session?
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

If you are looking for star atlas, i suggest getting a Bright Star Atlas or the Cambridge Star Atlas. Both are useful and easy to use. Might be good if you can bring one of this for observations.
If you want to know more about equipments used in observations, try Starware 3rd Edition. This book proves to be very useful in my early days of astronomy.

Hope that'll help. :D

Regards,
Sam

We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile.
Starmigo

Post by Starmigo »

Thanks Sam. Can get them in bookstore like Borders?
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

When it comes to reading material, it depends on which aspect of amateur astronomy you are more interested in - practical or theory.

I'm more of a practical person, so my first ever astro related book was (Cambridge) "Guide to stargazing with your Telescope" by Robin Scagell.

My second was (Philips) "Guide to Stars and Planets" by Patrick Moore.

Both are quite easy to understand. Everything is explained in plain and easy to understand English without any fancy terms. In the first book, you will learn more about telescopes - the different types and the relevant accessories for observing. In the second, you will learn about things like Planets, Stars, Deep Sky Objects and all the 88 constellations.
Samuel Ng
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

Sure, they are relatively easy to buy in Singapore. The NLB also has those books. Be sure to keep a lookout! 8)

Regards,
Sam

We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Just bought a book "Atlas of the Universe" by Patrick Moore for $19 at the bargain books section of Borders near the main entrance. Seems to be a good introductory book to astronomy and includes some star maps as well. There is also another similar book going for $16. May be worth checking out.

cheers
cc
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

acc wrote:Just bought a book "Atlas of the Universe" by Patrick Moore for $19 at the bargain books section of Borders near the main entrance. Seems to be a good introductory book to astronomy and includes some star maps as well. There is also another similar book going for $16. May be worth checking out.

cheers
cc
that book cost $100 over dollars 10-15 years back. Its map is the "reference standard" before sky atlas was out. It's quite a big book...I have one at home.

At $19, I say grab it. It's a very good book on astro....just that it doesn't touch on telescopes and equipments. But whatever you need to know about stars and stuff..it's inside there. And the map is still one of the best!
Starmigo

Post by Starmigo »

Thanks guys. CC, where do you usually go for obervation? Vinsnr, if you happen to go Punggol observe sky, mind if I join?
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Starmigo wrote:Thanks guys. CC, where do you usually go for obervation? Vinsnr, if you happen to go Punggol observe sky, mind if I join?
Not that I mind, but I think you will find it "boring". Simply because I will be spending very little time at the eyepiece. Most of the time will be spent on doing drift alignment, GOTO alignment, and after that it's hooking up laptop, DSLR, and spending more time in getting the right focus. After that it's just shooting, framing, shooting, framing......basically it's all astrophotography stuff.

And the whole night could be just on a couple of objects. Hardly something exciting and thrilling for beginers who wants to see as much as possible.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Thanks guys. CC, where do you usually go for obervation?

normally I observe at Dempsey or at my house. you can send me your hp number to be informed of last-minute sessions at Dempsey. Check out the observation sessions forums or search for CSN for more info. :D

cheers
cc