Celestron Advance Series CG-5 Mount

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Celestron Advance Series CG-5 Mount

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Have anyone here got the Celestron Advance Series CG-5 mount?? It look very stable with the 2" tripod legs.

Intended to upgrade my mount, but a Vixen GP with motor drive seem to be too expensive. Please comments.

Thanks and have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kayheem

Re: Celestron Advance Series CG-5 Mount

Post by kayheem »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Have anyone here got the Celestron Advance Series CG-5 mount?? It look very stable with the 2" tripod legs.

Intended to upgrade my mount, but a Vixen GP with motor drive seem to be too expensive. Please comments.

Thanks and have a nice day.
Does the Celestron come with GOTO or just dual axis drives? If no GOTO, you may want to consider the Skywatcher HEQ5

http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/HEQ5.html

Kay Hem
addy

Post by addy »

Celstron has two flavour of CG5 Advanced series EQ mounts

1) Celestron CG-5 Advanced Series Computerized GoTo EQ Mount (Part #91518)
http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.as ... d=5275&m=1

2) Celestron CG-5 Advanced Series EQ Mount (Part #91517)
http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.as ... d=5276&m=1

The price diff between (1) and (2) is arounf US$360.. Do note that the CG5 EQ (w/o Goto) doesn't include setting circles..

there is a guy on selling C5 with CG5 mount on Yahoo auctions.. Charlie mentioned that his OTA has fungus.. Contact him, you might be able to get his mount.. :-)

Hope that helps.
Addy
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
It is a Non-GOTO version. I also considering the HEQ5, but seem to be a little too heavy and may be overkill. Also, I wonder how much will it cost... the shipping cost may be a bomb!! May be I will ask Jim and Sam.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

tell me the price if you get it hor ..... I want to buy a mount too :).
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

Sam is trying to ship something over for USA and Canada (Skywatcher)
http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=479

Ask him for the price to ship the Skywatcher HEQ5 mount lor :)
tommyong

Post by tommyong »

Hi Weixing,

Yep, I have the Celestron CG5 mount. It comes together with my C8-SGT.
I agree it's very very stable. Much more stable than most I've seen. No worries about toppling or vibrating easily.

However, it's pretty heavy, not because of the 2" legs but the cast-iron mating mount. Can be quite a burden if you want to go lite...

Still, it's worth your consideration...

*cheers*
ToMmY
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Thanks for your information... I already brought a used Vixen GP mount... very happy.

By the way, how the mount?? Is it smooth?? My main concern previously was the mount performance out of the box... Just heard too much "bad" thing about CG5... :P May be you can post a review on the mount in the forum.

Have a nice day and happy Chinese New Year!!
Yang Weixing
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

tommyong wrote:Hi Weixing,

Yep, I have the Celestron CG5 mount. It comes together with my C8-SGT.
I agree it's very very stable. Much more stable than most I've seen. No worries about toppling or vibrating easily.

However, it's pretty heavy, not because of the 2" legs but the cast-iron mating mount. Can be quite a burden if you want to go lite...

Still, it's worth your consideration...

*cheers*
ToMmY

ooh....another scope to play with! :lol:
btw, do you need a half pier for operation at our latitudes? does the OTA/counterweights have a chance to hit the mount near zenith?

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets