newbie here.. need some advice pls. thanks

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
denn23

newbie here.. need some advice pls. thanks

Post by denn23 »

hi,

i am thinking of buying a telescope for my freind's 18th birthday as she's into astro..

so anyway, I need to buy one.. but i HAVE absolutely no clue to all the different types..

i tried to do some research but the more i do, the more confused i become!

wahts the diff
Refractors?
Makstutov Telescopes?
Firstscope Telescopes?
Reflectors?

honestly, no idea... I dont want to get her a entry level.. as i think she already has one.. so probably a middle ranged one?

one question.. how do u see how 'powerful' the telescope is?

thanks.
denn23
denn23

Post by denn23 »

i went to this site...

and am completely confused....
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

HI denn
Frankly, I don't think its a good idea to buy your friend a telescope as a surprise birthday gift if this is what you intended. There are just too many different kinds of scopes, with their own advantages and disadvantages. Their costs vary widely too, not to say differences in personal perferances. If u really want to get her a scope, its best you talk to her about it to find out her preferences.
denn23

Post by denn23 »

hi acc..

was just reading up your post about the diff scopes.. Anyway, it is a surprise gift so i really dont want to ask her..

I know ther are a lot of diff types, prices, plus and minus... u know, i was even of just going to toys r us to get her one.. hahaa.. but anyway, since im here, might as well get a better one.. say 300 to 600 bucks? my freind doesnt rknow much about scopes too, she just uses it to view the sky.. ( i know.. im sounding very newbie here) so yeah.. was hoping u guys can just throw me a brand model and ill go get it.. but no rush.. hoping for more suggestions.. i got till end of feb..

thanks a lot.

btw, any lobang?
:P
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

300 - 600 ..... hmmmm ..... don't think can get anything good ......

check out this website ....

http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/default.p ... 4f1d2fa9ae

that is only for the scope, without the mounting ....

see what u like.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi denn
The 'right' telescope is a very personal choice, and I still strongly discourage you from getting her a scope as a surprise gift. Perhaps a good pair of binoculars costing about $180 (check out previous posts on recommended binoculars you can buy in Singapore) and a nice dinner may be better... :mrgreen: If you REALLY want to get her a scope, than I recommend the 127mm maksutov (check out mcgill's website). This will cost you about $1000 however. Hope this helps.
denn23

Post by denn23 »

dont need that good... afterall its the thought that counts... but the reason i am asking is cause i dont want to spend 500 bucks getting a lousy scope but in fact, i can get a better scope for the same price somewhere else...

anythanks. i went to the site.. but to me, its all alien pictures to me cuase i dont know which '500 bucks' telescope u should get.. (hope u know waht i mean) and also, im not sure if its the cheapest place to get the scope.

thanks again
denn23

Post by denn23 »

acc wrote:Hi denn
The 'right' telescope is a very personal choice, and I still strongly discourage you from getting her a scope as a surprise gift. Perhaps a good pair of binoculars costing about $180 (check out previous posts on recommended binoculars you can buy in Singapore) and a nice dinner may be better... :mrgreen: If you REALLY want to get her a scope, than I recommend the 127mm maksutov (check out mcgill's website). This will cost you about $1000 however. Hope this helps.
1000 bucks!!?!?! er... the MAX i can go is 600.. thats it. oh just to let u guys know.. shes in aust.. and me.. here.. so, err.. yeah.. got a surprise for her.. but i still need this surprise for the rest of the surprise to work .. ( ahya.. ok ignore me..) :wink:
denn23

Post by denn23 »

just read something..

a motored telescope?

wahts the motor for??

http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/product_i ... 4f1d2fa9ae
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

A motorised mount, if you mean.
The mount is equiped with motors to help drive the mount in order for it to track the rotation of the sky.
Don't think you'll be able to get something good with 600 bucks. Try getting a good binos (very important equipment!). :D

Regards,
Sam

We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile.