newbie here.. need some advice pls. thanks

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Yes, its the thought that counts, so you don't have to buy her something expensive. The trouble is that its hard to find a decent, complete telescope package that costs $600. For that price, you may get some medicore telescopes with very limited ability, which may end up disappointing rather than 'exciting' her. Save the $600, and look for something cheaper and more useful and meangingful. Really. Don't want your money to go to waste.

cheers
cc
denn23

Post by denn23 »

thanks guys... the reason i am geting her this cause its her 21st birthday.. if its not her 21st then, ill get something else.. but 21st.. get something nice and big lor.. (dont flame me!!)

but thanks.. im still in the stage of thinking wat to get.. anyway, putting that aside.. whats the cheapest thing i can get to 'excite' her.. lol,,

cheers
cinq

Post by cinq »

I think you need to know what her "entry level" telescope is, you said she already has one? It's hard to advise without knowing what she has even.

Also, do you know her interests, planets? Star clusters? Maybe you could get her a shorttube 80mm refractor or a giant pair of binoculars and a good tripod.
denn23

Post by denn23 »

hmm.. too much space stuff words in there.. sorry. im very new in this..

ok, i THINK she has a scope.. but lets say she doesnt...
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
OK... First find out what type of scope your friend currently own. Then get a scope that is 1" or 2" larger in aperture. If your friend already own a good mount, then get the OTA only. Also, it may not necessary to get a scope... astronomy related accessory can also be a great gift too... :)

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
cinq

Post by cinq »

I have to agree that it is very difficult make a proper choice for a friend as a surprise.

You're not even sure if she has a scope, what if she has something very similar to what you buy?

K, first up, you must know 500 cannot buy a medium level telescope, but you can buy a very good pair of binoculars. Binoculars and telescope can complement each other.

Binocs come in different sizes (eg 7x50, 10x50 or the bigger ones like 15x70 which are practically like 2 small scopes combined).

One easy to follow example is if you want to view an open star cluster, the binocs will have a wide enough field of view to see the star cluster but the telescope probably will see only one part.

Anyway, I did a search and this article is quite useful for a newbie: http://astronomy.trilobytes.com.au/scope.htm#ozdealers

Please note that it does recommend binoculars if the buyer is a newbie with a limited budget. AU Dealers are also mentioned so you can buy online and ship to her direct, save on shipping. Bintel has been around but I haven't bought any of the dealers anyway.

However, a scope to consider since you are quite on about that is the venerable 80mm f5 refractor (shorttube), sold under different brands (such as Celestron, Orion, Konus, Skywatcher? etc.). You can read a review at http://www.cloudynights.com/reviews/st80.htm

I doubt 500 will buy the mount included but she can get her own photo tripod (one that can take the weight of the telescope) and use that.

That's my summary, I suggest you spend some time reading before plonking down $600. Who knows your friend might have a very clear idea of what she want and not want you to waste your money on something unsuitable.

cheers
Cindy
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

Toy R us.......i brought one scope from them though,....many years ago, it a 60mm Eduscience scope 150x power, the tripod is lousy and shaky and the finder scope can't find anything !! wat a waste !! and the focusing knot........errrrrr very hard to focus, it damn screwed up !!

Recently i never been there, are there new scopes or motorised technology?? last time i remember something called "Precision Optics" pasted all over the boxs.