Dry cabinet

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Debash

Dry cabinet

Post by Debash »

Hi all,

Am looking for a dry cabinet for my OTA (around 30 -40 cm length and wide) and accessories, budget around $150-200. Currently am using a box that I bought for $20 (not airtight) and put in $4 dehumidifier in it..but looking at the quantity of water settled in the dehumidifier in 2 weeks makes me wonder if that is enuf given that rainy season is around the corner.

Could you guys share the kind of dry cabinets you are using, price, brand and the shops selling it here. Saw one at Tangs for around $300 which can barely hold my OTA (6" MCT) with accessories.

Thanks in advance..cheers
Debash

p.s. hope I got the forum index right
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

Actually, i think u can try looking for one at MS Color
www.mscolor.com.sg
I bought a 60l one for $170-$180? earlier this year they got lots of sizes, from bossman (made in taiwan) and might be suitable for ur 6"mct
svc was quite friendly, and no pushiness. You might be able to shave a bit off the price if u pick it up urself instead of having it delivered.
Carrefour also stocks some dry cabinets, but the ones there come with 1 year guarantee i think, rather than the standard 5.
dew

Post by dew »

hi,
i bought a AmPro dry cabinet.. they got quite a range of sizes unlike the ones at tangs.. but be warned, my motor unit just failed on me after about only 3-4 months of work. but the people are replacing it free for me though..

eu-wen
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

I bought a Bossmen unit. The chassis made in Taiwan using a German made dehumidifier. $199. Can't remember the capacity now but it holds my ETX105EC, ETX90 OTA, eyepiece boxes and my analog camera drybox...
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
kayheem

Dehumidifier

Post by kayheem »

Does anyone know where to get a stand-alone electronic dehumidifier (i.e. just the part that does the drying, I do not need the entire cabinet).

I do not want any hippos with my scopes.

Thanks!

Kay Heem
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

If i remember correctly, you could get them at Sim Lim Tower, but to which shop...i forgot liao...=p

Charlie

damp buster cabinet

Post by Guest »

:) Currently, I saw few offer from
1. Cathay Photo Store Pte Ltd
2 brands: Akarui (ROC) at $123 to $448
Toyo Living (Japan) at $335 to $728

2. Carefour at Suntec
Product from Singapore or M'sia and selling cheap at $105 to ...? forgot to write down.

3. Giant at IMM
Product from Singapore and selling at $148 (forgot to check size)

4. Used camera shop at Aldephi's basement 1 called P&G Photographic Centre
selling M'sia made at $120

Hope the info is sufficient for you to hunt down the right product.

Eric
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Grievous wrote:If i remember correctly, you could get them at Sim Lim Tower, but to which shop...i forgot liao...=p

Charlie
Charlie,

Can you give me some other hints e.g.

1) Brand, size and colour of the unit
2) Rough location of shop grd floor, basement etc

Thanks!

Kay Heem
kayheem

Re: damp buster cabinet

Post by kayheem »

ericgoh wrote::) Currently, I saw few offer from

2. Carefour at Suntec
Product from Singapore or M'sia and selling cheap at $105 to ...? forgot to write down.

3. Giant at IMM

Eric
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info. However, I only need the electrical dehumidifying unit and not the whole cabinet itself. Do you know where to get just the dehumidifying unit alone?

Kay Heem

Post by Guest »

kayheem wrote:
ericgoh wrote::) Currently, I saw few offer from

2. Carefour at Suntec

3. Giant at IMM

Eric
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info. However, I only need the electrical dehumidifying unit and not the whole cabinet itself. Do you know where to get just the dehumidifying unit alone?

Kay Heem
Hi Kay Heem,

Are your component faulty? If so, must get the same back as the mounting position is different from other brands.
If you just want to add the elec dehum. on the plastic or metal box, then don't waste your time as you need all the DIY knowledge and tools to make one! Hence, the best is get a cabinet that is not so expensive. The one at Cathay Photo Store (Peninsula Plaza) is selling quite reasonable. Free Delivery, they offer. Pay them a visit.

cheers,
eric goh