Skywatcher AZ EQ5 mount

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
akdwivedi
Favourite scope: celestron C6

Skywatcher AZ EQ5 mount

Post by akdwivedi »

Hi

I looked at some youtube videos of this mount and it seems like a good mid level mount. Just wanted to ask here if anyone is using this mount in Singapore and how does it work.

The specs do say that it supports latitudes from 0-90 degrees, but some feedback from users would be good.

I am a visual only guy with a 80mm f/5, a C5 and C8.. but lure of occasionally using it in EQ mode for some AP is always there.

regards
Andy
Last edited by akdwivedi on Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akdwivedi

Re: Skywatcher az eq5 mount

Post by akdwivedi »

Looks like there are very few users of this mount..

Any as eq6 users. I know it’s damn heavy..
SKSng
Favourite scope: 250PDS

Re: Skywatcher AZ EQ5 mount

Post by SKSng »

Hi Andy,
I've been using AZ EQ6 for a few yrs; just moved it to sg last week. Setup (EQ mode) at window but not ready yet.
I've used it in both EQ & AZ mode (almost always EQ); I find the mount ok, but I've not used any better mounts.
My setup now is tilted northward for weights to clear tripod; & anchored by steel cables; seems secure.
I might in future put it on a trolley like user qqbin, with a pier; any help/ input abt how to do that is appreciated!
Thank you!
SK
SKSng

Post by SKSng »

I forgot to say that when mount was new, I had to change 1 of the timing belts (defect in the belt); also last year my main board was damaged (not sure why); otherwise the mount performs well
akdwivedi

Post by akdwivedi »

thanks SKSng.. I was told that though the mounts go down to 1deg, we need to use a pier to raise the mount so that counterweights dont hit the tripod. there are some wonderful youtube reviews which all say that az eq6 inherits the same performance as the eq6 R pro.

I am not sure if tilting the mount will put some stress on the mount. Do you use the mount in dual mount in az mode. how do the Goto/tracking work.

I was looking for az eq5 as it seems a little easier to carry/setup compared to the az eq6 and at this point I dont see myself going into the heavy AP setups.

again thanks for your responses.
SKSng

Post by SKSng »

Hi,
Didnt realize it can go to 1 deg; I guess a pier will then work fine.
Unfortunately my setup is fixed at window; a pier will be too high for me.
I went to AstroScientific & saw some of their custom mods on celestron mounts; the mods are gd!

I only use in EQ mode now; I hvnt figured out how to connect skywatcher to PC with EQmod in Alt-Az! Ha...if it works I may eventually change to AZ mode.

Tracking of AZ EQ6 has no major probs; I platesolve so dont use Goto; but I do remember it works fine too; there's a function (PAE) that improves Goto accuracy.
The gearing sometimes requires tweaks, just tightening/ loosening, otherwise perf is gd; usually phd2 gives ~0.2-0.6 rms.

: )
chuangyee
Favourite scope: c11

Post by chuangyee »

I have been using AZ EQ5 for a while. Its a flexible mount for visual and AP. RMS is low if you fix the gear meshing.
akdwivedi

Post by akdwivedi »

chuangyee wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:15 pm I have been using AZ EQ5 for a while. Its a flexible mount for visual and AP. RMS is low if you fix the gear meshing.
thanks.. good to hear from a user of the mount. Does the mount work at 1deg N without any specific low latitude modification. Do you use it with the pier supplied with that mount package (mount+pier+tripod).
chuangyee
Favourite scope: c11

Post by chuangyee »

Yes I use it with a half pier.