Is the Celestron 127slt good for planetary photography?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
perchloratepenguin
Favourite scope: Celestron 127slt

Is the Celestron 127slt good for planetary photography?

Post by perchloratepenguin »

I have a Powerseeker 80Azs as a beginner scope, but the things that can be seen with it are not very interesting. I have done some research and seen that the 127Slt is pretty good for planetary (Not looking to take DSOs yet). Is it recommended and what are the flaws with it?

My friend is selling it to me for $900 together with a ZWO ASI462MC. If anyone can provide some insight on how well the ZWO ASI462MC works and what it can take pictures of, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
akdwivedi
Favourite scope: celestron C6

Re: Is the Celestron 127slt good for planetary photography?

Post by akdwivedi »

celestron 127 is a Mak and is very good scope. it is also fairly light and good as a grab and go scope. At 1500mm focal length and f/12, it is very good for planetary viewing. This has been widely compared with Celestron C6 (which is also 1500mm focal length @f/10) and opinion is still divided on which is better, but for planetary viewing 127 beats C6.

The SLT mount is good beginner level alt az Goto mount. I never had a SLT, but I did have a nexstar SE mount which uses the same software nexstar+ (skyalign and goto) and it works fine. I use it purely for visual but tracking is decent. I dont take astrophoto's but look at cloudynights, people do say that it should be possible to still pictures upto 10-15secs without much issue and then stack them.

ZWO462MC is a very good camera, it is good cam for planetary as well as guide camera. Most Jupiter/saturn pictures I have seen recently are video taken with 462MC, then processed using PIPP, Autostakkert, registax and photoshop. I am thinking about getting this to try planetary as well.

cant comment on price. the ZWO462MC new costs around 350usd (zwo says they ship free worldwide), so you can check the cost of 127mak and slt mount and see if its a good deal.