Night vision astronomy in Singapore

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
akdwivedi
Favourite scope: celestron C6

Night vision astronomy in Singapore

Post by akdwivedi »

I see a lot of buzz on night vision astronomy on cloudynights where they use the night vision devices in prime or afocal way with telescopes. Apparently the view from these Night Vision Devices is much sharper and they report even seeing faint nebulae, galaxies with these devices.

The challenge is that the Night Vision devices in use are all military grade with white phosphorus image intensifier tubes and most common used are PVS-14, PVS-7B and Mode 3 monocular. The makers of these devices state that these devices are strictly for sale to US citizens and not to be exported out of US.

Does anyone in Singapore uses similar night vision devices for viewing. I read somewhere that a lady was fined for trying to sell a night vision device and that people need clearance from government to procure such devices. Which night vision devices does singapore use and can they be procured locally.
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Re: Night vision astronomy in Singapore

Post by Bergkamp_ »

If you are interested in EAA, you can do one quite easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JdtL950RjQ

Night vision are extremely expensive.
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
akdwivedi
Favourite scope: celestron C6

Post by akdwivedi »

Bergkamp_ wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:47 am If you are interested in EAA, you can do one quite easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JdtL950RjQ

Night vision are extremely expensive.
thanks.. I am actually fine with EAA setups and am working to get a rapsberri pi. waiting for it to be delivered. but clouds.

My interest in night vision was primarily with ease of setup. but you are right. there are two challanges - price and getting the device in Singapore. The PVS-14 and mod3 are not allowed to be exported and even in US can be sold to US citizens only. Singapore also has some restrictions about possessions of these night vision devices.
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

EAA u can see in colour or mono.. live stack. thru tablet. Great to share with people around.

yes. strict restriction.
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .