Recommendations for camera upgrade on small budget?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
xorinet
Favourite scope: [no telescope]

Recommendations for camera upgrade on small budget?

Post by xorinet »

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a camera upgrade (on Carousell, because it's cheaper haha), but can't decide what to pick. My budget is around $250, and I can see there are many options just from sorting by maximum price; but again I'm not sure which one would be best for astrophotography.
I have moderate experience, albeit with a rather small, noisy and old camera. I may have plans to use a new camera "normally" and I'm not really sure if IR modifications are worth it considering that, but I'll try to do more research about the model and see how it goes. I'm not really expecting a top-tier camera from a budget this low as well, but if they do exist, which is rather unlikely, that'd be great!

In conclusion, any recommendations for second-hand cameras that are good for astrophotography under or around $250?

Thanks a lot in advance!
joachim.ong
Favourite scope: 150cm Telescope at Gunma Observatory

Re: Recommendations for camera upgrade on small budget?

Post by joachim.ong »

If you're planning to use it for day photography too, I'd say those considerations could take priority as it'll affect your lens choices, shooting style. For astrophography i think any modern dslr or mirrorless released in the past decade is pretty decent. I use Nikon and the oldest I'd recommend is the D5100.
xorinet
Favourite scope: [no telescope]

Re: Recommendations for camera upgrade on small budget?

Post by xorinet »

Ah, I see. Thanks a lot for the recommendation!