Anywhere/anyone in Singapore to do mirror recoating?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Re: Anywhere/anyone in Singapore to do mirror recoating?

Post by Hardwarezone »

I don't remember any info on this regarding local Singapore.

The machine as seen in photos years ago (other country) and now on youtube , is quite big the size of a washing machine or fridge.
it pumps out the air into vaccuum state within the heavy steel container and have a heater below to melt the aluminium into vapour which condense onto the targets or objects above.
Google and youtube search keyword are "aluminium vacuum deposition"

The DIY method (other country) without vacuum chamber is use silver instead of aluminium , but silver will oxidize much more quickly and lose reflectivity.

in my opinion, no point doing this for entry level consumer grade stuff , not worth the cost and international effort , just live with it.
The normal aluminium coating out of factory is about 90% reflectivity (at the visual spectrum) and drop by 1% every year until about 70% and plateau out .
Quartz coating over the mirror can slow down the oxidation , I don't know by how much.

I did a quick google and there is a local company Edmund ______ at Woodlands with such coating machine.