Modifying a calton altz mount to become one of the best everHi

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
superiorstream

Re: Modifying a calton altz mount to become one of the best everHi

Post by superiorstream »

To make this discussion complete......what of those innox alt mount. These are mount without slow motion control. Basically its a push to mount.lt works well when mounted in perfect balance,hence making afocal photography almost impossible. Thus l still prefer my carlton mount.
akdwivedi
Favourite scope: celestron C6

Post by akdwivedi »

superiorstream wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:05 pm Hi Akdwived
I got that L shaped bracket from aliexpress through koko.again.
Thank you, I will connect with Koko..
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi
As a final touch to the discussion
The other day bfd.....or Mr yeo.....came to my house and l show him how to modify the carlton mount without making the 2cm plus circular piece.
Basically just get 2 m6 approximately 5.3mm long screw and then a china made dovetail.......only that shown in the top 2 photos got EXACTLY the screw spacing needed......and just fix it at the side....see that 2 photos. SIMPLE.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

superiorstream wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:06 am Hi
As a final touch to the discussion
The other day bfd.....or Mr yeo.....came to my house and l show him how to modify the carlton mount without making the 2cm plus thick circular aluminium piece.
Basically just get 2 m6 approximately 5.3mm long screw and then a china made dovetail.......only that shown in the top 2 photos got EXACTLY the screw spacing needed......and just fix it at the side....see that 2 photos .....the 2nd and the third photo from the top. SIMPLE.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

And yes.....forgot the half hitch type of Az mount.
Again that type of mount works on the well balance principle. Thus adjustment is needed when you add in a camera. Although using sliding counterweight may do the trick ,but price wise ,this carlton is....in my opinion still better......
Hence ,to me this carlton modified is still the better choice.
frwaf bfds

Post by frwaf bfds »

Hi,
I have made the modification to the carton mount by attaching a vixen saddle to the side, without any extra machined parts. What I am curious about is whether the base of the carton mount can be removed/modified to attach to a standard tripod like the celestron 2inch steel tripod. The current wooden tripod legs seem to be the weak point in stability rather than the mount itself.
KKK26
Favourite scope: All nice scopes

Post by KKK26 »

yes it can be removed, locking ring has 3 set screws. loosen set screws and unthread locking rings.
you need a custom machine plate to attach to any tripod
frwaf bfds

Post by frwaf bfds »

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the ring on mine seems to be stuck... Even after removing all 3 set screws it is almost impossible to unthread the locking ring.
KKK26

Post by KKK26 »

I see.. let me check my mount tonight if any attachment. I saw someone opened the base
KKK26

Post by KKK26 »

Probably due to dried stubborn grease? My mount locking ring can be removed but found that there are 3 small pins attached from tripod hub to mount, I think it needs to be removed to detach. But I am still not sure mount can be detached from tripod hub after remove these 3 pins.

There are 2 type of Carton TA mount, blue one with tripod hub and metallic color without hub, slight different at the base.
Attachments
5.JPG
5.JPG (99.22 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (149.53 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (121.65 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (133.48 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (107.76 KiB) Viewed 3537 times